K&D or 3D winder? That is the question.

arron

Hi Guys.  I'm trying to decide between buying the older school k&d (model might be 123A, but not sure) winder and the modern 3D printed winder found on ebay.  I mainly work on pocket watches and have a multi-barrel watch craft set for those.  I don't plan to do many wristwatches but i do have a few 1940s small military style watches that I'm starting to work on.  The barrel for the current project is 9.3 mm, too small for the watch craft winder.  The K&D is about three times the cost but still under $100; but it is also size variable which might come in handy on another watch.  Any pros/cons of one or the other?  Thanks.  Arron

mainspring winder.jpg

Good to hear from you Oldhippy.  I agree there is a lot of information about winders on this site and elsewhere online, probably too much 🙂 .  I was close to hour 3, when my eyes were glazing over, of researching before posting my question--i probably only scratched the surface.  I am hoping to get a head to head comparison of these two types of winders before making a purchase.  What i found on the 3D winder was a 2021 discussion when it was in its prototype/initial stages of development, so it wasn't very helpful.  I didn't find any information on that K&D type winder; although after my post i stumbled upon a YT video where it is used; i'll post the link here in case others find it useful.  

Both of these winders looked a bit gimicky to me, but after watching the K&D video, it actually looks like it works pretty well as long as the arbor nub is in good shape.    

As a baby boomer, I like old school so i'm inclined to go with the K&D, unless I hear from others that the 3d version is a superb product.  Anywho, it's a three day weekend here in the US (who cares anymore, now that i'm mostly retired) so I'm hoping to order a winder and work on a watch that has been on my bench for a while.  I hope everyone has a good weekend.  Arron.

I've had some experience with the adjustable K&D mainspring winders. The have worked quite well when the arbor fits but they are not perfect. The arbor is sometimes too big and sometimes too small. 

And do not use these for automatic mainsprings. The automatic bridle can poke through one of the other 3 openings of the adjustable jaws and kink or even break the mainspring. 

There isn't a perfect mainspring winder system that will work in every situation. I already have 5 different winder systems and still have to wind an occasional mainspring by hand.

So @oldhippy, what mainspring winder worked for you? 

Well, I love that K&D you show in the picture.  I have several sets.  I have rebuilt the arbor on one and repinned the arbor on another.  So, they will last forever.  It is my go-to winder for everything but pocket watches.

I have several sets because I inherited one set from Dad and it was missing one of the arbors so, I bought another set and then I got bits and pieces more from watch tool lots.  My motto is to "Buy them all up before the hoarders get them."

• Haha 1

I appreciate everyone's input on this.  I went ahead and bid on a KD and got it at a very reasonable price.  So i'll try it out.  Hopefully it will work well.   

12 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

Well, I love that K&D you show in the picture.  I have several sets.  I have rebuilt the arbor on one and repinned the arbor on another.  So, they will last forever.  It is my go-to winder for everything but pocket watches.

I had planned a future post about repinning an arbor but since you mentioned it, i have a set of watchcraft winder arbors that are missing their pins.  What is the process for repinning?  I assume i drill a hole, then insert a pin of some kind.  is there a good source for such a small piece of metal, or do you have to fabricate one; maybe a nail shaved down on a lathe?  Is the pin a straight cylinder, or do you put a hook at the end so it doesn't lose grip of the MS; maybe by peening the top of the pin or filing a slanted leading edge?  Any thoughts you have would be appreciated.

4 hours ago, arron said:

I appreciate everyone's input on this.  I went ahead and bid on a KD and got it at a very reasonable price.  So i'll try it out.  Hopefully it will work well.   

I had planned a future post about repinning an arbor but since you mentioned it, i have a set of watchcraft winder arbors that are missing their pins.  What is the process for repinning?  I assume i drill a hole, then insert a pin of some kind.  is there a good source for such a small piece of metal, or do you have to fabricate one; maybe a nail shaved down on a lathe?  Is the pin a straight cylinder, or do you put a hook at the end so it doesn't lose grip of the MS; maybe by peening the top of the pin or filing a slanted leading edge?  Any thoughts you have would be appreciated.

Yes, I drill a hole. This is tricky to do. I turn a pin on my lathe. Then press it in. I use loctite if the fit is not tight enough.