Hole closing punches

HectorLooi

20230801_105601.thumb.jpg.53467bfbea98f8c8fa7cf8b28a6d1c87.jpg

I just got a set of hole closing punches because nobody else bid for them.

I know that punching the plate to close a hole is frowned upon in the clock making community and I seen @oldhippy comments on this practice.

I've seen some clocks with so many punch marks that it look like the surface of the moon. It seems that hole punching is a common practice. 

My question is there really no place for hole closing by punching the plate in clockmaking? Is there any use for such tools?

• Like 1

Hi Hector, I thing the question hangs on the quality of the clock. On many a good clock I have seen pin punch marks round the pivot hole in place of a bush. Not nice. There are many cheap clocks just not worth bushing but clients want them working and hole closing is the cheap option as they do not want to pay for bushing. Probably more than the clock is worth but closing the hole is an alternative. Again some plates are so thin bushing is not practical due to lack of metal.   Yes I have closed holes to make them work but only after explaining to the client the options.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/1/2023 at 9:52 AM, watchweasol said:

Hi Hector, I thing the question hangs on the quality of the clock. On many a good clock I have seen pin punch marks round the pivot hole in place of a bush. Not nice. There are many cheap clocks just not worth bushing but clients want them working and hole closing is the cheap option as they do not want to pay for bushing. Probably more than the clock is worth but closing the hole is an alternative. Again some plates are so thin bushing is not practical due to lack of metal.   Yes I have closed holes to make them work but only after explaining to the client the options.

How much do you charge per bush? I include bushing in my service costs, just done a Hermle with 19 bushes😬

• Like 1

I have seen professional charges listed at £30 per bush, if done by hand a pair of bushes can take an hour to an hour and a half to cut fit and check,  by machine half the time.  Amateurs probably £15 to £20  per pair is quite fair depending on the quality of the clock and additional charges, cleaning etc.  professional cleaning / overhaul.  £350 upwards plus extras found whilst overhauling.so costly .