Entry and exits stones

If I may give you a little bit of advice, you have posted this cry for help twice in short order, and not for the first time. Have a bit of patience and give us as much information and photos as you can and we will be able to help you better.

sorry to be a grumpy old git, but nothing on here is an emergency, apart from the few professional folks we have here who are time limited we are amateur watchmakers, not a 24x7 support platform.

Tom

• Like 1

A just added video to show the issue I'm having my exit stone catching escape teeth not releasing it

A just send a picture the pallet stone a believe the exit stone catching the escape wheel teeth and not release it should I adjust the exit stone out more if someone can help please

20230618_220244.jpg

20230618_220111.jpg

20230618_220228.jpg

Edited by Murks

The lock on exit stone is too heavy to unlock, so move exit  pallet back deeper into the fork slot so it can unlock. This will affect run to the banks thus  may overbank, may also thorw the entery pallet out of adjustment.

Pallet adjustment is a pain, lets first get the fork to do its thing so the watch runs, next level is when you seek to improve amplitude without  rebanknig. Lets just call that advance level which I run away from  everytime I face the challange.

There are videos and lesson on how to adjust pallet stones, shouldn't expect to master the task as soon as you watch the first few vids.

Good luck Pal.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, HectorLooi said:

Can you remove the pallet fork, clean it nicely and post high magnification photos of both pallet stones. I think the entry stone might be damaged.

Not only does it look damaged it looks like its facing the wrong way as well.

2 hours ago, tomh207 said:

If I may give you a little bit of advice, you have posted this cry for help twice in short order, and not for the first time. Have a bit of patience and give us as much information and photos as you can and we will be able to help you better.

sorry to be a grumpy old git, but nothing on here is an emergency, apart from the few professional folks we have here who are time limited we are amateur watchmakers, not a 24x7 support platform.

Tom

Haha Tom you grumpy old git you. 🤣 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Not only does it look damaged it looks like its facing the wrong way as well.

Yes, I know. That's why I asked @Murks to work on working watches until he has gained sufficient experience.

Pallet jewel setting is extremely finicky and not a task for a beginner. Even someone with @Nucejoe experience steers clear of it. I've done a few but the resulting amplitude was just dismal. I have better results with clock pallet adjustments though. Maybe because they are so much bigger and easier to work on.

• Like 2

Thanks alot for the reply  a taken picture of the pallet jewel the entry stone can't take pictures  yet of the exit stone till a clean it first and someone  said the entry stone was put in wrong what way is it meant to go  and is the picture clean enough?

20230619_012007_001.jpg

20230619_011935.jpg

20230619_011756.jpg

20230619_011609.jpg

20230619_011458.jpg

20230619_011446.jpg

30 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

Good eye sight peeps. 

Doesn't that entery stone look it doesn't belong?  as if two stones from two different calibers?   

Something tells me this is going to be a long one 🙂

1 hour ago, Nucejoe said:

Good eye sight peeps. 

Haha.. you must be the only guy walking around Iran saying   "Eyup" and "now then peeps" to people you meet. I feel somewhat honored and responsible for folk giving you strange looks. 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Murks said:

Thanks alot for the reply  a taken picture of the pallet jewel the entry stone can't take pictures  yet of the exit stone till a clean it first and someone  said the entry stone was put in wrong what way is it meant to go  and is the picture clean enough?

Interesting interpretation of the instructions of?

11 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

Can you remove the pallet fork, clean it nicely and post high magnification photos of both pallet stones. I think the entry stone might be damaged.

Your interpretation of the quoted instruction above was to remove the individual stone and clean it which is not what the instruction was. Instruction was to clean the fork with the stones in place so we can evaluate the situation. Now that the stone is out everything is changed.

3 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Doesn't that entery stone look it doesn't belong?  as if two stones from two different calibers? 

Really hard to tell when it's out of the Fork but seeing as how fast it came out does make you wonder if other pallet stones are involved in this?

13 hours ago, tomh207 said:

Thinking about above quoted section that would refer to the link below

https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/26766-pallet-fork/#comment-222622

On 6/17/2023 at 10:46 PM, HectorLooi said:

t would be helpful if you could give some background history of the watch. What caliber is the movement? What condition was it in? Was it running?

I can see that something is not right with your pallet fork. The shellac is visible on top. Shellac is usually applied to the underside. Has someone attenpted to repair this watch before?

I think it would be helpful if you answered the questions from your previous discussion where you conveniently ignored the questions

11 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Pallet adjustment is a pain, lets first get the fork to do its thing so the watch runs, next level is when you seek to improve amplitude without  rebanknig. Lets just call that advance level which I run away from  everytime I face the challange.

There are videos and lesson on how to adjust pallet stones, shouldn't expect to master the task as soon as you watch the first few vids.

In a classroom situation you're looking at at least a week of eight hour days to learn how to adjust the stones and of course you learned how to check the entire escapement because you need that to adjust the stones anyway. Then in the classroom situation that doesn't fall of having the proper tools which most of us don't have because they're just too darned expensive. Then typically most people don't play with the pallet fork as it leads to nothing but misery. I believe currently there's another discussion on this group where someone is having issues with The pallet fork not running watch and misery.

Oh and as a reminder both stones are physically different. See do have to put the right one in the right place and they both have the face in the proper direction and of course they have to be the right depth. Then The shellac is also supposed to be on the bottom not on the top of the fork.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1