My Forever Replacement Brass Tweezers ​​​​​​​

I have switched to titanium tweezers for general work and fond the Cousins UK own brand very good (link Here) as they require far less re-dressing and hold their shape as well as steel so the best of both worlds, in my opinion. However, I still have a cheapo set of brass tweesers for any work I do where scratching could be an issue and I am looking to replace these as I am sure the brass in my set is made from recycled rodico based on how quickly they deform. My initial instinct was to replace them with a better quality brass set, then I saw a video discussing the virtues of bronze then another on carbon fiber, so I went looking to see what was out there. As I intend this purchase to my my 'forever tweezers' I am happy to invest a little more on them so I want to get the choice right, but I have too many materials to pick from:

1. Good quality brass Link
  2. Bronze Link
  3. Carbon fiber (all CF Link or CF tipped Link
  4. Boxwood tipped Link
  5. Ceramic tipped Link
  6. Delrin tipped Link
  7. Vulcanized Fibre tipped Link
  8. Other????

My initial thoughts and assumptions:

• I assume that ceramic would be scratchy, so not a contender, can anyone confirm?
  • I assume all of the tipped versions cannot be re-dressed, so the tip will need to be replaced once it wears out or becomes damaged? 
  • Wood/boxwood would not be ideal for everyday prolonged use and better for specific jobs like handling hands and dials?

Can you please provide your experience of the above types and do my assumptions align with your actual experience, and any recommendations for preferred brands for each material that you have good experience with? Also, let me know if I have overlooked any good options.

Note: All the links above are just examples from Cousins, I'm not tied to them, it was convenient to take all the links from one source for consistency.

Edited by Waggy
Clarification

I have #1 and find them ideal for handling almost all but the very tiniest parts. The tips are fine but strong enough. With careful handling they need very little attention. Ideally, you need the opinion of someone who has compared them with the others though.

3 hours ago, Waggy said:

have switched to titanium tweezers for general work and fond the Cousins UK own brand very good (link Here) as they require far less re-dressing and hold their shape as well as steel so the best of both worlds, in my opinion. However, I still have a cheapo set of brass tweesers for any work I do where scratching could be an issue and I am looking to replace these as I am

Same here a set of titanium 5s from cousins i bought a couple of months ago for around 7 quid. I was curious about the scratching so tested them against brass and steel. I find them comparable to brass for non-scratching but definitely not as stiff as steel. I think a far better option than brass.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I tend to use Bergeon brass tweezers No.2 and No.3 for everyday work, as they don't tend to scratch. For serious stuff like replacing a cannon pinion, holding back springs, etc, I use Dumont No.2 carbon steel tweezers, as they are hard as nails and won't give like finer or stainless steel tweezers. (I find vintage carbon steel tweezers so much better than the new ones. I think the composition of the tweezers may have changed over time, making them not as hard and durable... (Just my experience of older carbon steel compared to the new ones). To be honest, I stay well away from stainless steel tweezers because they are as soft as chewing gum, so it's best to go with carbon steel in whatever size/number you need. I bought some titanium Cousins cheapo tweezers No. 6, but they need some serious honing to work with hairsprings, they are a good inexpensive option if you don't use Dumont No.5's for this kind of work. Angled hairspring tweezers, such as No.7's or No.6's are good if working under a microscope, as you can see the hairspring properly under the scope, but if you are doing hairspring manipulation without a microscope I find it nigh on impossible, especially if it takes an hour or more to do the work. There is no way I'm using an X15 or X20 at an 11 mm working distance with a loupe for that amount of time, so a microscope is the only way to go for ease and comfort. Anyone who does use a loupe for hairspring work is doing themselves a massive disservice. I'm speaking from experience of using a loupe in the early days compared to using an x40 microscope now. I only speak from experience. I first bought No.1 and No.3 stainless steel tweezers in the early days and may pick them up every now and then, but they are not my go-to, as they are too soft and too fine for me.

As I've said, this is my experience. I'm not telling anyone what they should use. Try out many sizes and makes until you find what fits for you, as I did. But quality is remembered long after price is forgotten and Dumont and Bergeon tend to be the winners, although the cheap titanium Cousins tweezers have potential once they are honed properly.

Edited by Jon
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jon said:

I tend to use Bergeon brass tweezers No.2 and No.3 for everyday work, as they don't tend to scratch. For serious stuff like replacing a cannon pinion, holding back springs, etc, I use Dumont No.2 carbon steel tweezers, as they are hard as nails and won't give like finer or stainless steel tweezers. (I find vintage carbon steel tweezers so much better than the new ones. I think the composition of the tweezers may have changed over time, making them not as hard and durable... (Just my experience of older carbon steel compared to the new ones). To be honest, I stay well away from stainless steel tweezers because they are as soft as chewing gum, so it's best to go with carbon steel in whatever size/number you need. I bought some titanium Cousins cheapo tweezers No. 6, but they need some serious honing to work with hairsprings, they are a good inexpensive option if you don't use Dumont No.5's for this kind of work. Angled hairspring tweezers, such as No.7's or No.6's are good if working under a microscope, as you can see the hairspring properly under the scope, but if you are doing hairspring manipulation without a microscope I find it nigh on impossible, especially if it takes an hour or more to do the work. There is no way I'm using an X15 or X20 at an 11 mm working distance with a loupe for that amount of time, so a microscope is the only way to go for ease and comfort. Anyone who does use a loupe for hairspring work is doing themselves a massive disservice. I'm speaking from experience of using a loupe in the early days compared to using an x40 microscope now. I only speak from experience. I first bought No.1 and No.3 stainless steel tweezers in the early days and may pick them up every now and then, but they are not my go-to, as they are too soft and too fine for me.

As I've said, this is my experience. I'm not telling anyone what they should use. Try out many sizes and makes until you find what fits for you, as I did. But quality is remembered long after price is forgotten and Dumont and Bergeon tend to be the winners, although the cheap titanium Cousins tweezers have potential once they are honed properly.

I have very similar thoughts even within my short time of this hobby, i much prefer carbon steel for their strength, although i have a really old thick pair that are determined to become a permanent magnet. I like the titanium and also spent over a good hour getting the shape and tension right. They dont scratch but are soft, not as soft as the cheap brass, when i forget to switch in place of a tough pair they quite easily bend, but for 7 quid they're ok.