YouTubers on watches

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that the Youtubers who restore watches have gone up-market. When I started 18 month ago there was a plethora of people who repaired/serviced all manner of what I would call low end watches, in other words, watches that I may-be could afford, or get movements to learn from. However, recently there has been videos, all well produced and excellent I may add, of wholly high end watches, Rolex, Omega, Chronographs etc, worth many thousand of pounds. No-one seems to be interested in what I would term, normal watches.  Seiko, Russian, English, anything under £100. There are a few at the low level, but not many.

The new YouTubers are of a differnet class now. Non-professionals who have as much or even better tools than many shops.  Nearly every video is of Rolex, Omega or Chronograph, from a member who just happened to send it to them. 

Just a rant

Ross

Edited by rossjackson01
grammar. spelling.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Now I think about it you are correct, about the only exception is Mike from My Retro Watches... link HERE.

If you haven't seen his channel I would highly recommend it, as he shows his builds without editing out his mistakes so you see his springs ping away just like mine do and how he overcomes the same problems we do. He also doesn't have every tool at his fingertips, so you also get to see workarounds etc.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, rossjackson01 said:

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that the Youtubers who restore watches have gone up-market. When I started 18 month ago there was a plethora of people who repaired/serviced all manner of what I would call low end watches, in other words, watches that I may-be could afford, or get movements to learn from. However, recently there has been videos, all well produced and excellent I may add, of wholly high end watches, Rolex, Omega, Chronographs etc, worth many thousand of pounds. No-one seems to be interested in what I would term, normal watches.  Seiko, Russian, English, anything under £100. There are a few at the low level, but not many.

The new YouTubers are of a differnet class now. Non-professionals who have as much or even better tools than many shops.  Nearly every video is of Rolex, Omega or Chronograph, from a member who just happened to send it to them. 

Just a rant

Ross

👍 i wonder is that because of the money they make from the adverts that are inserted into the vids and brand sponsorship ? . Some of the long standing youtubers get send all kinds of gear to review.  " Just to mention I/we aren't sponsored in any way " 🤔 really ?  Am i being too suspicious ?  Good on them if you can make extra money and jump up a level of repair by appealing to folk with more money, who wouldn't do that ?   I guess there is a ladder to climb Ross and others will take their place on the bottom rung. Besides our forum has the best and biggest range of knowledge all in one place, so🖕to learner deserters . Haha was that too harsh, i did try to find 2 fingers instead of the middle one, honest 😄

13 minutes ago, Waggy said:

Now I think about it you are correct, about the only exception is Mike from My Retro Watches... link HERE.

If you haven't seen his channel I would highly recommend it, as he shows his builds without editing out his mistakes so you see his springs ping away just like mine do and how he overcomes the same problems we do. He also doesn't have every tool at his fingertips, so you also get to see workarounds etc.

Absolutely Waggy, Mike was the first for me to watch when i started, a truly genuine  guy with good humor. I love the way he gets his words mixed up 😄 He also has a Facebook group, I've messaged him numerous times and he always replies. His knowledge on Seiko is well worth tapping.  So on another note you come up with a bride for me to consider yet matey ?

• Like 2

Note your comments. Some have tried to keep the advertisers on different by creating extra channels and doing the 'talks' about the watches sent them, but usually, accidently, show the same videos on the original channel, just in case we are interested.  Can't blame them. 

Blair Watch Project, I have found is the only one who has stayed with the same make. Seiko. Two videos each time, evaluation and repair. Although the repair videos are now half the time they were. 

I have definitely seen the same Ross. Mostly with the bigger channels that have a large patreon membership. If you are getting $1000+ per month in subscription fees and have the tools you need I suppose the next step is to go upmarket with the watches. There are a few channels I supscribe too that have always worked on watches out of my league Chronoglide, vintage watch services and Horology Biology, lots of others are doing just as you say.

Tom

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rossjackson01 said:

noticed that the Youtubers who restore watches have gone up-market. When I started 18 month ago there was a plethora of people who repaired/serviced all manner of what I would call low end watches, in other words, watches that I may-be could afford, or get movements to learn from. However, recently there has been videos, all well produced and excellent I may add, of wholly high end watches, Rolex, Omega, Chronographs etc, worth many thousand of pounds. No-one seems to be interested in what I would term, normal watches.  Seiko, Russian, English, anything under £100. There are a few at the low level, but not many.

one of the things you may be seeing is when you started what kind of videos were you looking for? So initially are starting to look for videos of whatever you're trying to do trying to learn watch repair basic watches. But go back and look at those videos when where they made it's conceivable that basically you've watched all of the videos of the type are looking for in all its left of the other videos. Plus of course YouTube likes to make suggestions of videos you should watch which are not necessarily the videos you might like the watch.

Then the other thing conceivably is evolution of channels. Somebody gets into it for the fun of it is not even thinking about money. But soon they looking at their algorithms and their trying to figure out how to bump the numbers up. So perhaps a look at their first video of the car boot sale watch they restored it and that only got X quantity of whatever versus the Rolex video? So the channel will change to chase the money. then I start to discover all the other ways to make money the affiliate of links to YouTube. Get people to sponsor their videos soon the channel changes for the purpose of making money it's lost its way perhaps. But if you ask the author they'll say no they haven't lost their way look at my numbers look at a much money on making.

oh and of course the other problem the channels are having his YouTube keeps changing how it does things. Apparently were ad revenue is currently down people are tightening their belts including the sponsors. That met YouTube cut everyone's paycheck basically. That means if people are trying to make a living off their channel they have to figure out alternative ways to make money. Or if they want to make YouTube happy right now apparently short so the wave of the future. I wonder if there are any other alternative platforms other than YouTube? Yes I know there's others out there but I really not a big fan of the short videos and I do wonder how functional the brains are the people running YouTube.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Yes, again I must agree. Shorts are an absolute pain. But, as you say, I think YouTube requires so many inputs per month, and a short allows the numbers to be kept up.

Am I happy with YouTube. You betcha. 

Do I return to the early videos. Well, actually, Yes. I really like Seiko, so use Mike and Blair Watch. For Sekonda 2428/2427, there are not many that display the Sekonda. Rat faced Git is probably the best. Although his are 5 years old and someone has started to use his site last month for  - handbags?

Chronoglide is riveting. Alex Hamilton's 'Watch Repair Tutorials' and Mark Lovick's  'Watch Fix', are by far the best tutors. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rossjackson01 said:

Yes, again I must agree. Shorts are an absolute pain. But, as you say, I think YouTube requires so many inputs per month, and a short allows the numbers to be kept up.

Am I happy with YouTube. You betcha. 

Do I return to the early videos. Well, actually, Yes. I really like Seiko, so use Mike and Blair Watch. For Sekonda 2428/2427, there are not many that display the Sekonda. Rat faced Git is probably the best. Although his are 5 years old and someone has started to use his site last month for  - handbags?

Chronoglide is riveting. Alex Hamilton's 'Watch Repair Tutorials' and Mark Lovick's  'Watch Fix', are by far the best tutors. 

I wonder how many do it for fame and money and how many have a true passion and genuinely enjoy helping folk ? At least we all know the score here, no fame no money we are just happy helping each other.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, rossjackson01 said:

Have we noticed how attitudes change to conform with how the public react and to remain popular though. I like Alex, he was brash and said it how it is, his language reflected his personality and his thoughts. Even his channel name had some balls. Annnd then something changed, is that a case of fit in or feck off i wonder ?

5 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

I do wonder how functional the brains are the people running YouTube.

Not sure if you actually need brains to make money John. Lets look at Mr. Trump shall we.  My i am ranting today arnt I .

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

I like Alex, he was brash and said it how it is, his language reflected his personality and his thoughts. Even his channel name had some balls. Annnd then something changed, is that a case of fit in or feck off i wonder ?

I think the answer to the change was in the title and use of language. YouTube can remove a channel for such. I just like the knowledge that he imparts. I may not have the skills to be be able to do what he shows. But the knowledge gained is so good. Like being with you lot.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rossjackson01 said:

I think the answer to the change was in the title and use of language. YouTube can remove a channel for such. I just like the knowledge that he imparts. I may not have the skills to be be able to do what he shows. But the knowledge gained is so good. Like being with you lot.

I completely agree Ross. If you want to get along you do have to fit in.  Unfortunately not everyone wants to, which is ok as we are all individuals.  Personally i like folk that dont like to fit in and have something different about them, it makes life interesting.  Good thread Ross 👍

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Not sure if you actually need brains to make money

I was talking about not the channel creators but the actual person in charge of YouTube. The person who currently is obsessed with short videos as the financial salvation of YouTube. yes no brains required to run YouTube and make money but I don't like the short videos it seems like there might be other ways to make money on YouTube but maybe they're not making enough billions.

2 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Have we noticed how attitudes change to conform with how the public react and to remain popular though. I like Alex, he was brash and said it how it is, his language reflected his personality and his thoughts. Even his channel name had some balls. Annnd then something changed, is that a case of fit in or feck off i wonder ?

did Alex's channel change somehow?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

I was talking about not the channel creators but the actual person in charge of YouTube. The person who currently is obsessed with short videos as the financial salvation of YouTube. yes no brains required to run YouTube and make money but I don't like the short videos it seems like there might be other ways to make money on YouTube but maybe they're not making enough billions.

did Alex's channel change somehow?

A little.  Alex's first title had F with 3 asterix. His language was as colourful. I watched as the content was good.

10 minutes ago, rossjackson01 said:

Alex's first title had F with 3 asterix. His language was as colourful.

colorful language is interesting on you to. There seems to be a lot of confusion on this for instance at the link below is a policy it explains that if you have swearing intertidal in the video well the worst case you can lose the whole channel. So that says you better clean up your talent be kid friendly and wholesome or else.

then the policies are continuously changing. Couple of months ago some of the channels is watching got really panicking over the colorful language thing is a lot of times people just get used to swearing all the time and don't realize the consequences and if YouTube continuously changes what they're doing all the sudden it can be a problem for you.

Then the problem with the link I have below that explains the consequences it doesn't tell you something. Can you swear in YouTube videos yes oh but wait the policy says you can't? Because somewhere when they submit videos to YouTube this a big form they fill out and I think they can say if they're going to swear and then that changes the age restriction etc. and probably changes the advertising revenue. So in other words are no longer a kid friendly channel that anyone can place advertising you become may be an adult's channel or something else. Because I know at least one of my channels with a couple that they swear continuously and they seem to be doing fine so I think if you're up front with YouTube and say I'm an adult channel and I'm those swear a lot then you just become a different advertising category or specifically less people are going to advertise on your channel. Which currently is going to be a problem because apparently all the advertising revenue is down and you don't want to lose advertising.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/10072685?hl=en

• Thanks 1

I only saw a few new channels of watch repairers. but from what I can see their model is as follows: either they are just hobby enthusiasts who decided to share their passion and now have means to do it. Or they add affiliate links to their tools so they fet paid a share of purchases from those links. Or they have a Patreon page where people give them tips/donations for their labor.

I'd like to share that I recently started my own YouTube channel, but I'm not here to self-promote. My friends encouraged me to create the channel, knowing that I enjoyed working on watches. I've only been at it for a couple of months, but it's a passion project of mine. All of the watches featured in my videos are my own and purchased with my own money. I am currently working on a "Vintage Budget Rebuild" series of videos, but I'm not looking to make money or claim to be an expert in any way.  Most of the watches on my channel are ones that several of us have bought when we started to learn on.  There are a couple of watches that cost a bit of money, with the most expensive one on the channel being a 6138-0040 Seiko Bullhead that I recently finished doing a top to bottom rebuild on.  Far from the cost of the Rolex and Omega types of watches mentioned earlier.  It's just what I enjoy working on and what fits in my budget.  

While I appreciate and enjoy many of the channels mentioned earlier, I have noticed (with a few exceptions) that some of the very seasoned and professional watchmakers have less than ideal video quality or cut several things out of their videos. Some channels have excellent video quality and production but don't go into great detail about the movement. That's why I want to create high-quality videos that show every step of the process. When I work on a movement for the first time, I always try to see if I can find any documentation or see if there are any videos of it online showing it's disassembly/re-assembly.  I thought that I'd like to make videos in this type of format.  Something that I'd like to see if I were trying to study how to work on a particular movement.  I try to show every single step, showing every screw, spring, part, etc. coming out and going back in.  Showing techniques on how to safely remove a certain spring, or how I've learned to do certain things on a particular movement (like the crown removal on a 6139 and how pulling out the stem with the crown in the outward position can bind up the keyless works) or a handy way I found to clean balance jewels or how I tap the side of the movement holder to help align the pivots when installing the train wheel bridge (I didn't come up with that one, it's just something I saw someone do that I've copied).  However, since I have no prior experience in creating or editing videos, it's been challenging, and my first few videos aren't the best. But, I'm working on improving, and my recent videos have gotten better. So far, most of my videos have been about various Seikos because that's what I work on the most. My latest video featured a $20 eBay Gruen "parts" watch that I fully rebuilt, and I think it came out nicely. 

Although my channel is new, and I'm just a hobbyist, I would appreciate any feedback from this community. I try to focus on more affordable types of watches, as previously mentioned. I haven't promoted my channel before because it's just a hobby project, but I thought it would be appropriate to share here. It's not a big channel, but if you'd like to check it out, here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/@weekendwatchrepair

To @0812's point, I am just a hobbyist who just wants to share my hobby.  Ironically I was contacted via email on Thursday from a company wanting to do a 'collab' (their words) with me and offered to send me a free microscope if I'd be willing to do a product review and post an affiliate link on my channel.  I looked at their product and was not interested.  I work under a stereo microscope, and they were one of the companies that sell those 'inspection' type microscopes that you can't really work underneath.  I'm not looking to make money off of my channel, and although I'm quite new at this, I do not think that trying to promote a product would suit my channel, especially since it's not a product that I would use myself.  I just felt that it would be disingenuous, so I thanked them for their offer but politely declined.  It's pretty funny though.  I only have around 600 subscribers and 5 or 6 videos at this point, and the last thing I ever would have thought I'd see would've been an offer to do a product promotion.  Now if Bergeon, Seitz, Horotec, Robur, etc. want to give me a call, I'll be all ears!! haha!

Lastly, unless it is a different Ross Jackson, I'm guessing that you @rossjackson01were one of the first subscribers to my channel.  Thank you my friend!

Edited by thor447
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, thor447 said:

I'd like to share that I recently started my own YouTube channel, but I'm not here to self-promote. My friends encouraged me to create the channel, knowing that I enjoyed working on watches. I've only been at it for a couple of months, but it's a passion project of mine. All of the watches featured in my videos are my own and purchased with my own money. I am currently working on a "Vintage Budget Rebuild" series of videos, but I'm not looking to make money or claim to be an expert in any way.  Most of the watches on my channel are ones that several of us have bought when we started to learn on.  There are a couple of watches that cost a bit of money, with the most expensive one on the channel being a 6138-0040 Seiko Bullhead that I recently finished doing a top to bottom rebuild on.  Far from the cost of the Rolex and Omega types of watches mentioned earlier.  It's just what I enjoy working on and what fits in my budget.  

While I appreciate and enjoy many of the channels mentioned earlier, I have noticed (with a few exceptions) that some of the very seasoned and professional watchmakers have less than ideal video quality or cut several things out of their videos. Some channels have excellent video quality and production but don't go into great detail about the movement. That's why I want to create high-quality videos that show every step of the process. When I work on a movement for the first time, I always try to see if I can find any documentation or see if there are any videos of it online showing it's disassembly/re-assembly.  I thought that I'd like to make videos in this type of format.  Something that I'd like to see if I were trying to study how to work on a particular movement.  I try to show every single step, showing every screw, spring, part, etc. coming out and going back in.  Showing techniques on how to safely remove a certain spring, or how I've learned to do certain things on a particular movement (like the crown removal on a 6139 and how pulling out the stem with the crown in the outward position can bind up the keyless works) or a handy way I found to clean balance jewels or how I tap the side of the movement holder to help align the pivots when installing the train wheel bridge (I didn't come up with that one, it's just something I saw someone do that I've copied).  However, since I have no prior experience in creating or editing videos, it's been challenging, and my first few videos aren't the best. But, I'm working on improving, and my recent videos have gotten better. So far, most of my videos have been about various Seikos because that's what I work on the most. My latest video featured a $20 eBay Gruen "parts" watch that I fully rebuilt, and I think it came out nicely. 

Although my channel is new, and I'm just a hobbyist, I would appreciate any feedback from this community. I try to focus on more affordable types of watches, as previously mentioned. I haven't promoted my channel before because it's just a hobby project, but I thought it would be appropriate to share here. It's not a big channel, but if you'd like to check it out, here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/@weekendwatchrepair

To @0812's point, I am just a hobbyist who just wants to share my hobby.  Ironically I was contacted via email on Thursday from a company wanting to do a 'collab' (their words) with me and offered to send me a free microscope if I'd be willing to do a product review and post an affiliate link on my channel.  I looked at their product and was not interested.  I work under a stereo microscope, and they were one of the companies that sell those 'inspection' type microscopes that you can't really work underneath.  I'm not looking to make money off of my channel, and although I'm quite new at this, I do not think that trying to promote a product would suit my channel, especially since it's not a product that I would use myself.  I just felt that it would be disingenuous, so I thanked them for their offer but politely declined.  It's pretty funny though.  I only have around 600 subscribers and 5 or 6 videos at this point, and the last thing I ever would have thought I'd see would've been an offer to do a product promotion.  Now if Bergeon, Seitz, Horotec, Robur, etc. want to give me a call, I'll be all ears!! haha!

Lastly, unless it is a different Ross Jackson, I'm guessing that you @rossjackson01were one of the first subscribers to my channel.  Thank you my friend!

Yes. It is 'moi'.

Yes. Enjoying the subscription.

So pleased you are a member of the forum. As are others.

Ross

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomh207 said:

@thor447i think there might just be a few of from here on your subscriber list 😀

Tom

There are several very skilled watchmakers on here, but I'd imagine that most of us on this board are hobbyists who found this website either through Mark's courses (as I did) or just through general web searching.  I've found this to be a great place for the hobbyist, and have learned quite a bit from reading different threads on here.  I'm flattered and humbled to have members of this forum watching my channel!  

1 hour ago, rossjackson01 said:

Yes. It is 'moi'.

Yes. Enjoying the subscription.

So pleased you are a member of the forum. As are others.

Ross

Thanks Ross.  I really think you'll like the next one.  It's a gorgeous rally dial Seiko from 1968 with a 5126A movement.  I'm very pleased with how it turned out, and have just started working on all of the video footage. 

Unfortunately the heating element in my Elma cleaning machine went out recently.  While it still worked fine for cleaning, I have sent it off to get a warranty repair, so I'll be without it probably still for the next few weeks.  I've got the follow-up watch to the rally dial disassembled and cleaned (before I shipped my Elma back), but nothing further yet.  It was in rough shape and I had to source a few parts for it.  Hopefully between the time it takes to finish processing this next video, and the time to complete the follow up watch and work on that video, I might have my machine back by then.  It's only been gone a week and I miss it already!  I've gotten spoiled having that nice machine!

• Like 2

The problem is IMO is that low grade watches once repaired/ serviced are worth little in value. So apart from giving interesting vids for newbies they give little else for the  repairer. 

Edited by clockboy
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, clockboy said:

The problem is IMO is that low grade watches once repaired/ serviced are worth little in value. So apart from giving interesting vids for newbies they give little else for the  repairer. 

That’s understandable. I work on what I like, budget, allowing of course! A lot of those older Seikos and other watches from the 70’s really appeal to me, so that’s what I work on the most.  I worked on a few higher grade watches people I know, and have a couple older watches that are step up in quality that have still yet to be worked on (2 Zodiacs, an old Onega, etc.) For me personally, it’s not so much about the money as it is the enjoyment of learning this new skill and then wearing something on your wrist that you brought back to life.  

Edited by thor447
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, thor447 said:

That’s understandable. I work on what I like, budget, allowing of course! A lot of those older Seikos and other watches from the 70’s really appeal to me, so that’s what I work on the most.  I worked on a few higher grade watches people I know, and have a couple older watches that are step up in quality that have still yet to be worked on (2 Zodiacs, an old Onega, etc.) For me personally, it’s not so much about the money as it is the enjoyment of learning this new skill and then wearing something on your wrist that you brought back to life.  

I typed my previous message on my phone and should have proof-read it beforehand!  It's bugging me now that it's been too long and I can no longer go back and edit it!  The spelling mistakes are driving me crazy.   Curse you tiny phone buttons!!!

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, thor447 said:

The spelling mistakes are driving me crazy.   Curse you tiny phone buttons!!!

not having spelling mistakes isn't necessarily a improvement. Oh buttons did you a lot a smart phones have dictation software and you can just talk to your phone?

Oh and the reference to spelling mistakes or lack of them is not aimed in your direction it's aimed in mine. I is dictation software with my computer and it makes interesting mistakes or choices of words sometimes. The words are all spelled right but well for the most part at least it's readable as long as someone grasp what you're trying to say hopefully that it's okay.

• Like 1