YouTubers on watches

Don’t believe everything you see when it comes to videos on Youtube. As you might know I’m more interested in clocks. There is a clock maker on Youtube who is featured on T V a customer brought in there Long case clock movement and case, the movement was not complete many parts missing on the strike side. When the customer came to see the clock after it had been repaired she was so pleased as he had replaced all the missing parts on the strike side, he told her he had replacement parts lying around in his work shop, which is a complete lie, antique Long case clock parts and not compatible/interchangeable they have to be made. I left a comment about his video I’m still waiting for an answer. This was over a year ago.     

Going back to watches they will only show high grade watch movements repairs because people are familiar with certain names so people are more likely to click on there video which adds more revenue for them, they won't bother with some pin pallet unbranded  movement, the videos are eddied so all the mistakes you never see. I'v seen some where the movement is completely rusted a complete right off, with in a few minutes you see the movement all cleaned no sign of rust, restored normally by the Chinese we all know it just never adds up.   

• Like 3

7 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

The words are all spelled right but well for the most part at least it's readable as long as someone grasp what you're trying to say hopefully that it's okay.

Know what you mean. Even in my books, I have completed spell check and amended what I think is correct grammar. However, I write the way I speak. Comments from a few readers says the content is excellent, but the grammar is poor. 

thor447

Did not even notice spelling mistakes. The content is so good.

4 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Don’t believe everything you see when it comes to videos on Youtube. As you might know I’m more interested in clocks. There is a clock maker on Youtube who is featured on T V a customer brought in there Long case clock movement and case, the movement was not complete many parts missing on the strike side. When the customer came to see the clock after it had been repaired she was so pleased as he had replaced all the missing parts on the strike side, he told her he had replacement parts lying around in his work shop, which is a complete lie, antique Long case clock parts and not compatible/interchangeable they have to be made. I left a comment about his video I’m still waiting for an answer. This was over a year ago.     

Going back to watches they will only show high grade watch movements repairs because people are familiar with certain names so people are more likely to click on there video which adds more revenue for them, they won't bother with some pin pallet unbranded  movement, the videos are eddied so all the mistakes you never see. I'v seen some where the movement is completely rusted a complete right off, with in a few minutes you see the movement all cleaned no sign of rust, restored normally by the Chinese we all know it just never adds up.   

oldhippy. 

You are so right. I've never found a Rolex in a river bank. All my repairs are from parts lying around, but they are replacement parts from my purchases. Still great fun this hobby.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Lots of folk like this on youtube OH. Its all about pulling in viewers i guess by looking amazing at what you do. A lot of it is laughable, just wish they could be more genuine thats why i like Mike from Retro watches he admits to all of hiis mistakes. I quite like Kalle of chronoglide, i remember our Nicklesilver making a remark regarding his skill . I understood why 😄,he can be heavyhanded, made me laugh a few weeks ago watching his live video undoing a screw by turning the movement holder but didnt realise he was winding the screw back in then reverted to using the screwdriver as though nothing had happened. Seemed a little embarrassed and probably hoped nobody had noticed 😄 . A quick comment calling himself a numpty would have sufficed. 

• Like 2