Half Hunter Pocket watch

HI Guys Not often stumped, but the ID of this one I do.  Its  A half Hunter in a Gold case, on the plate is the word DEPOSE (French for Patent) Which would make one think is a European origin, and the number  72717.  unable to trawl Pocketwatch data base as no manufacturer.  There is another problem in removing the back plate, the hand adjust square is in a bush  and is under cut. this prevents the plate lifting off. My gut instinct tells me the square screws off allowing the plate to be removed, The canon pinion is a one piece affair and as yet has refused all attempts at removal also but one step at a time. I have looked up in the bestfit books and not found a match. Front plate size is 42.91mm   =   19 Ligne. Pictures attached.   Thanks.

DSCF3690.JPG

DSCF3691.JPG

DSCF3692.JPG

27 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

HI Guys Not often stumped, but the ID of this one I do.  Its  A half Hunter in a Gold case, on the plate is the word DEPOSE (French for Patent) Which would make one think is a European origin, and the number  72717.  unable to trawl Pocketwatch data base as no manufacturer.  There is another problem in removing the back plate, the hand adjust square is in a bush  and is under cut. this prevents the plate lifting off. My gut instinct tells me the square screws off allowing the plate to be removed, The canon pinion is a one piece affair and as yet has refused all attempts at removal also but one step at a time. I have looked up in the bestfit books and not found a match. Front plate size is 42.91mm   =   19 Ligne. Pictures attached.   Thanks.

DSCF3690.JPG

DSCF3691.JPG

DSCF3692.JPG

I don't know the manufacturer, probably won't be able to find out. It assume there's nothing under the balance wheel?  Pictures of the top plate side.  What do you mean by hand adjust square 

Hi Richard I will post some picture# later tonight regarding the plates, just now I am concentrating on , 1. The ID. 2  the hard square removal.    The one you have pictured shows the correct location but the fixing and plates are different 

, yours is a Swiss  five bar movement, wish it were as simple as that one.   Thanks.

4 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Richard I will post some picture# later tonight regarding the plates, just now I am concentrating on , 1. The ID. 2  the hard square removal.    The one you have pictured shows the correct location but the fixing and plates are different 

, yours is a Swiss  five bar movement, wish it were as simple as that one.   Thanks.

The cannon pinion refused to move on this one.  Looking forward to the pictures. 

Hi    The pictures of the top plate , bottom plate and a drawing of what the square looks like and how ist mounted in the plate/bush.  The impression is that its fixed to the center wheel arbour and once removed the bottom plate will lift off, hopefully. never had this problem with any other pocket watch.    cheers

DSCF3696.JPG

DSCF3697.JPG

DSCF3701.JPG

47 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi NEW.  Even the best of us get stuck, that’s why with watch repairs there is always something new to come across and why we are always learning, It’s an on going process.   We never know it all for sure .

Just spent an hour trying to find a Swiss/French registered design 72721. With no luck as there are literally thousands ranging over 170 years. I did learn something though. The dèposè 9846 is quite common in early wristwatches. From 1903 the First mans wristwatch to be held on the wrist by # wire lugs and a particular shape of leather belt ( strap ) # that covered the caseback. The designers ( Dimier brothers ) could claim loyalties for their design when used and demanded all watches made this way had to be sent to them to be stamp registered. 

Hi after much goofing around on the net I found  out its most likley an A Schild  cal so far underermined, inported to the UK by Geroge stockwell    Stockwell and co.  Old Hippy was right it tapped out. Under a normal loupe it looked solid but under hi magnification one could discern the join  so with a bit of gentle persuasion  it came out ok. so cheers Old hippy. In all the years I have been at this game thats the first tapout I have had. Its now in bits being cleaned ready for the re assembly.    

• Like 1