Tag Stem

David1950

Hi, Since retiring to Spain I spend my days with clocks and watches I find them fascinating there are some very cleaver people who design and build them, I am learning every day and enjoying every minute of it.

I have a problem that has really got me stumped I have a Tag Heuer automatic that a number came off the dial very simple you would think I removed the case back removed the stem replaced the number put the stem back but now the stem will not work when it is pushed all the way in it will change the date but will not pull out to change the time, I can remove and replace it easily it should click out twice but will not.

I would be gratefull for any advice.

David

Hi David on some movements the stem has to.     be in the set position before removing it, this is to hold the clutch wheel and the winding pinnion together so that when you introduce the stem again it slides in ok. Probably whats happened ids the wheel; and clutch are displaced and blocking the stem. You will need to remove the dial and han and the calendar work to be able to re align the wheels and re fit the stem .  what is the make and caliber of the movement   cheers

Hi watchweasol, I’m not sure the photo went through I will try again.  I have removed the dial and date ring as you said it all looks in line to me and the stem is going all the way in fully but just will not pull out to alter the time any more help would be much appreciated, I will try photos again.

thanks you again David 

A7D805D7-50F7-4CF4-A823-EB84167539E0.jpeg

288DF6AB-0621-4CD6-91C9-920BEE5362E3.jpeg

Hi David looks like the setting lever has come out of place and locked the stem,  i have attached a tech book that will give you some idea of how it all hangs together.  I see the movement is an ETA whats the caliber  and I will look for a tech sheet for you.  cheers

TZIllustratedGlossary.pdf

Hi David, under normal circumstances when the stem is pulled out  the setting piece moves with the stem, this detents on the setting lever spring and another lever pushes the clutch wheel away from the winding pinion to engage a second wheel which interacts with the hand set. when the stem is pushes in again the clutch moves back to engage the winding pinion and all is re set/ So if you cannot disengage the stem I would guess that the setting piece has TZIllustratedGlossary.pdfmoved and jammed the lever

Hi Sorry it’s been a few days I’ve not been at all well three days in bed, I’m back in my little workshop now I’ve taken it apart but not sure of the positioning of every thing, do you think the winding pinion is in the correct position to the setting lever. I’ve looked for the caliber is this what you need WAF2110. 
many thanks David

9184D3AA-66DD-43E1-9C2E-0D74086DD470.jpeg

Hi David. From what ican make out from the picture it looks ok.  Best insert the stem and watch the action as you move the stem into its various positions, making sure the clutch wheel moves in and out to disengage and engage the winding parts.   Usually tag movements use ETA movements, have a look under the balance wheel for a logo (eta) and calibre number, eg. (2428) or somthing like that. Also a full picture of the back and front of the movement would be helpful.

Hi Watchweasol well success I followed your instructions of how everything should work it took a few times to get it right and align everything up but all is working now I have learned so much from this watch and from you thank you so much for your time and knowledge, the caliber is 2824-2 the only thing now is I have to remove the stem again to put the movement back in the case so in your first reply you said it has to be in the set position can you explain that please as I don’t want to do the same again  thank you once again Best wishes David 

Hi Richard, well that worked all stayed in place and working lovely thank you, I noticed on your profile photo you have  an omega I have a 1967 omega with a 601 movement I’ve replaced few parts and it’s working fine BUT the sweep second hand will not go back, on the hand itself it has a male pin so I’ve removed the sweep second pinion and that also has a male end so impossible for them to fit together, should the pinion have a female end has that broken off or the pin of the hand broken inside the pinion the pin on the hand looks quite long with no piece stuck on the end of it, would appreciate any help/advice many thanks David 

Hi, I’ve removed the pivot and a bit confused I’ve looked on the download documents section on Cousins website and the photo of the movement the pinion looks male but another document says it should be 5.4 mm long part No 600 1250b I’ve measured mine at 3.7mm, but the hand is male also and the pin is 1.1 mm ( photo attached) so is one broken or both 

ECAB5D4D-A4C3-4165-A176-5682B722D537.jpeg

Richard you were absolutely correct that was not a pin on the hand it was the end of the pivot, it took a bit of getting out but when it came it was obvious as you said the female end is the hand I was convinced it was a pin to fit in the pivot (wrong) thank you so much I owe you a watchweasol a pint thanks again David 

• Like 1

Hi sorry been away for a few days, the problem with living in Spain I’m reluctant to order from the uk things are certainly taking longer to arrive and I have to pay an import tax on arrival but sometimes don’t have a choice, so now waiting on new pivot. Regards David

1BA0715E-171F-45EA-8F9D-1089EE75CC56.jpeg

6BAACBDF-073C-4651-A877-45041D5AC071.png

DF360948-B21D-4079-A327-8FB3705B80A0.png

On 4/1/2023 at 8:50 AM, David1950 said:

Hi Richard, well that worked all stayed in place and working lovely thank you, I noticed on your profile photo you have  an omega I have a 1967 omega with a 601 movement I’ve replaced few parts and it’s working fine BUT the sweep second hand will not go back, on the hand itself it has a male pin so I’ve removed the sweep second pinion and that also has a male end so impossible for them to fit together, should the pinion have a female end has that broken off or the pin of the hand broken inside the pinion the pin on the hand looks quite long with no piece stuck on the end of it, would appreciate any help/advice many thanks David 

then just something for the future when asking questions if you would like the maximum quantity of people to notice your question  it should be relevant to the original title. So for instance the above paragraph appears to be an entirely new question which will go unnoticed because it doesn't match the original title. Fortunately already got an answer so it's not a problem.

then one of the reasons you knocked thing is out of alignment was what did you use to push to release the stem? Notice in the image I attached is a slot that is deliberately designed for you to use a screwdriver. the reason for a screwdriver is there is an edge in their and that limits how far you can push. So in other words with a screwdriver you can push in remove the stem and not stock the setting parts out of alignment which will happen if you use something too small or round.

stem removal slot.JPG

1 hour ago, David1950 said:

Hi sorry been away for a few days, the problem with living in Spain I’m reluctant to order from the uk things are certainly taking longer to arrive and I have to pay an import tax on arrival but sometimes don’t have a choice, so now waiting on new pivot. Regards David

1BA0715E-171F-45EA-8F9D-1089EE75CC56.jpeg

6BAACBDF-073C-4651-A877-45041D5AC071.png

DF360948-B21D-4079-A327-8FB3705B80A0.png

No worries, looking forward to seeing you the finished watch. 

Hi John, I fully understand your point about changing subjects it makes sense for someone searching a particular problem I will be mindful in the future, also I wondered why the Shape of the stem release button was such that now makes sense so thank you on both counts take care regards David