Repairing the oscilloscope I use for getting watch traces

Could be in the wrong section...feel free to move.

My Siglent oscilloscope started screaming at me.  I use it often for getting watch traces using my bespoke amplifier design.

Well...the problem is the fan going bad.  Ordered a replacement fan today...should arrive tomorrow.

If you ever need to replace a fan in a piece of equipment or your computer, the go to brand for good quiet fans is Noctua!!  The other stuff is crap.

image.thumb.png.d30c89d9920b7d989d103e44fcc473c9.png266993610_2023-03-0114_42_05-20230301_143728.jpg-Photos.png.579d9b9fa3d35b16755e5ccbbd0a3f9d.png

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

the go to brand for good quiet fans is Noctua!!  The other stuff is crap.

I wouldn't say that all the other stuff is crap. over the years I spent a lot of time studying fans. Seeking out the most quiet ones to find your right a lot of the quiet fans really aren't that quiet. But if you spend enough time you can find some other fans that are quiet also but it does require work. So yes I would agree that if you just want to get a quiet fan purchasing a Noctua works just fine.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

A few good ones but a whole bunch of bad ones.

yes the endless search for quiet fans and the specifications that are interesting. Can't always go by DB rating because something that should be quiet isn't basically just bought a time unless you buy the name brand here and just looking out with some good fans. Or usually if you go to much bigger fans with much slower speeds like in a computer case that definitely helps. So I was really big fans on your CPU heatsink big case fans. Shock mounting the fan. Then you can have a quiet computer that runs cool. Versus some people's computers that sound like jet engines taking off.

Speaking of oscilloscopes, capacitors and the like, if you are looking for info to repair things like oscilloscopes and other test equipment, there are a couple of forums I can recommend. Badcaps and eevblog.

Here for example is the thread I posted a long time back for my ancient Metrix 803B oscilloscope...

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?s=69385e96a3bc4af319a33a9e7f5e0151&t=42768

... and a thread from eevblog where we hack serial data from some cheap multimeters.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/victor-921-pocket-dmm-reviewed-by-toddfun-com/msg989184/#msg989184

The Itsthatidiotagain  is an alias I used for a while to troll the trolls that used to pester punters at hackaday, and it kinda stuck.

22 minutes ago, AndyHull said:

Speaking of oscilloscopes, capacitors and the like, if you are looking for info to repair things like oscilloscopes and other test equipment, there are a couple of forums I can recommend. Badcaps and eevblog.

Here for example is the thread I posted a long time back for my ancient Metrix 803B oscilloscope...

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?s=69385e96a3bc4af319a33a9e7f5e0151&t=42768

... and a thread from eevblog where we hack serial data from some cheap multimeters.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/victor-921-pocket-dmm-reviewed-by-toddfun-com/msg989184/#msg989184

The Itsthatidiotagain  is an alias I used for a while to troll the trolls that used to pester punters at hackaday, and it kinda stuck.

Until I returned to watches, I spent my days on eevblog. Lots of smart guys there. One guy is a replacement for Siglent. Yesterday, I asked about the fan in my scope.

It has been awhile but I have been to the bad caps site. I have repaired my Samsung several times...always caps. Their SMPS seems particularly sensitive to ESR.

• Like 1