New Mainspring Problem

Orded a new mainspring for my ETA 2783 movement . Assembled it an discovered that the barrel arbor is to small for the spring end ? Can i press it together ? Otherwise it will slip on the arbor . And yes i orded it as a Eta 2783 mainspring from Cousinsuk 

post-644-0-43331900-1437575966_thumb.jpg

Edited by rogart63

If you have small round nose pliers you can sometimes get away with reshaping the end. I have done thI s in the past with springs when I've been stuck. Be careful, it is easy to break it. Far better to get a spring that fits if you can.

• Like 1

If you have small round nose pliers you can sometimes get away with reshaping the end. I have done thI s in the past with springs when I've been stuck. Be careful, it is easy to break it. Far better to get a spring that fits if you can.

Funny that cousinsuk supplied the spring for this movement . The old spring had a broken spring . Right at that end .

Now that make you wonder.

And it was very brittle . Snaps of just by bending it . Never seen that before . Have some old mainsprings . But they don't brake in that way .They are springy but not brittle . It's like the spring has been hardened from heating . 

Haven't had much success bending the ends.

They usually bend at only one point so you end up with a distinct bend, this creates a stress point and I bet it will break at this point sometime in the future.

If you can support the inner coil securely, try rolling on the inside of the coil with a small rod.. this usually tends to close up the metal (think english wheel).

I would just call Cousins and see what they say... they seem to be pretty efficient and you photograph shows quite clearly that the part will not fit.

Anil

• Like 1

Haven't had much success bending the ends.

They usually bend at only one point so you end up with a distinct bend, this creates a stress point and I bet it will break at this point sometime in the future.

If you can support the inner coil securely, try rolling on the inside of the coil with a small rod.. this usually tends to close up the metal (think english wheel).

I would just call Cousins and see what they say... they seem to be pretty efficient and you photograph shows quite clearly that the part will not fit.

Anil

Now i now that to :)  Tried to bend it and snap  :angry: . I think i will order a complete barrel and mainspring . Seen one on Ebay . need a new escape wheel to . This is turning out to be a long term project . 

You'll get there Roger, it was always going to be a 50/50 shot re-setting the end curl. On old blue springs I draw the temper just at the end before re-shaping. I'm not too sure how modern spring material would have respond to that treatment.

• Like 1