Benrus CE13-Small stud came out in ultrasonic

Baffled…again

This small part came out of somewhere in the ultrasonic. It looks like a locating stud, but all of the plates/bridges appear to have those milled into the part. The only thing different about this watch is it is a day/date pointer model from ~1950. I’m positive it’s from this movement. You can see the size of it as it sits below the base plate in the first photo. A close up is the second photo. The third photo is just the day/date plate that fits on top below the dial.

The base movement is ETA 900 but this one has the modified base plate to accommodate the complications. ETA 930, I believe.

any ideas? Thanks!B7FDC567-26F5-4666-93F9-E8659CAB1233.thumb.jpeg.b54d5a14ea1af366481a8a6a5a72df80.jpeg56A764C1-3C09-45CB-9B65-7EBD887D41BB.thumb.jpeg.91b7b68c7ade85f419fa697b90ec059e.jpeg2309A79C-3907-4163-8D49-E872D57900B2.thumb.jpeg.0f3eae12469cf9530ed70f74cf329c89.jpeg

Okay…turns out it was one of the three balance cock locating pins. Fun fact is: I never put the balance cock into the ultrasonic! It must have remained behind in the main plate and I didn’t notice. I didn’t look at the balance cock trying to figure it out. After all, it was never in the ultrasonic😉

Edited by Woolshire

19 minutes ago, Woolshire said:

Okay…turns out it was one of the three balance cock locating pins. Fun fact is: I never put the balance cock into the ultrasonic! It must have remained behind in the main plate and I didn’t notice. I didn’t look at the balance cock trying to figure it out. After all, it was never in the ultrasonic😉

I hope you can push it back in.

That's why I always have the balance mounted on the mainplate in the ultrasonic - it's the safest way.

I think the mainplate and cock push on top and bottom of locating pins, but if your obsessed like me,  mount the pin on a pin vice, try to knurl on the pin, thats engraving grooves on it ( I am not sure if the tip of a needle is strong enough to engroove  with)  but knurling the pin should secure it in place once fitted.  

Avoid gluing.

Regds

Woolshire - any chance you took enough pictures to post a walk-through of this service?  I have a box of CE13 movements in the "waiting to be serviced/repaired" drawer but every time I look at one of these small and complicated little date pointer mechanisms it seems I end up choosing something larger and simpler to work on! After doing some superficial repairs, I have learned that it's important to leave the stems longer on this movement than you normally would because the date quickset is activated by pushing in on the crown when it is in the normal operating position. So you need a gap between the crown and the case that looks a bit amateurish if people don't understand the movement.

2 hours ago, Geotex said:

Woolshire - any chance you took enough pictures to post a walk-through of this service?  I have a box of CE13 movements in the "waiting to be serviced/repaired" drawer but every time I look at one of these small and complicated little date pointer mechanisms it seems I end up choosing something larger and simpler to work on! 

You realy don't need a walkthrough, tear one apart take as many pix you have the patiance for, upon reassembly if you forget which part goes where, you have another movement to tear apart and see for yourself.

Thats how I started, back then I didn't know data sheets and diagrams of movements exist. 

• Like 1