Fusee clock

Stuart2

Hi, i have got a fusee movement, it has a chime silent facility but i am having trouble working out how it resynchronises itself after it has been put on silent. The only way i am able to do it is to manually set it off at quarter past and run through the chimes one by one until they are back in sequence. Thanks in advance for any help

20221013_152943.jpg

This is one of those massive clock movements, extremely well made many are English.  Winterhalder & Hofmeier also made many like this but there is a difference. From the photo I would say this is English. The self correct is not working as it should. The best way to find the trouble is to remove the chiming levers and check all parts. Have you had it apart and now it is causing problems? Any signs of wear on the chiming side? if no then you need to build the chime side and watch the way it works. It takes a lot for a movement like this to miss behave. As its out of its case I would give it a good once over of the complete movement. I would like to see the chime side of the movement between plates. 

• Thanks 1

@oldhippy @watchweasol thanks for the replies you are absolutely right this movement is massive and very heavy. I have not taken it apart this is how i got it, the clock looks in pretty good codition and i can't see any excessive wear. i have studied the chiming mechanism and there doesn't seem to be any way of it being able to sychronise itself.  Is it possible that this clock could have been made without that facility. Hope the photos help.

20221013_172939.jpg

20221013_172820.jpg

20221013_172804.jpg

20221013_172738.jpg

Hi  when you look at the front of the clock the lever at the top right (the one with the hole) when you lift it does it release the rack and cycle the strike.  Its a substantial clock going by the plates and the chime barrel.

If you can get you hands on a copy of  De Carles book  Clock and Watch repairing  Chapter VIII gives a detailed description of the workings and several warnings regarding the power held in the fusee spring  which is enough to break fingers so be very careful I have attached some of the information from the book for you .

Scan.pdf 1.pdf Scan2.pdf

• Thanks 1

@watchweasol yes the lever you described does exactly what you say, i really appreciate you attaching the pdfs i have read the last paragraph on page 121 this official confirms to me that this movement does not have the capability to syncronise automatically which means the clock is working exactly how it should. Thank you for your time and help it is very much appreciated.

Sorry for my late reply. Other things took over last night. Now I have seen the movement in all its detail and studying the chime and strike I can confirm this movement doesn’t auto correct, there is no wheels/levers resting on the cannon pinon in order for it to do such a thing. You just have a cam wheel (snail wheel) to the right which deters how many times it chimes. Also if I remember correctly the minute will only fit on one way because the fitting in not a complete square it has rounded edges on one side.

Dirty in many of the pinon leafs are you going to clean it? 

• Thanks 1

@oldhippy thank you for your reply. yes it is definately going to get a full service, overall it is in very good condition but there is some work that needs doing ie. New screws and probably a few bushings. I took the mechanism out to look at because it wasn't chiming just to see what sort of problem i was dealing with luckily no major faults, it had just locked up and the hammers were very sticky.

• 2 weeks later...