first time buyer long time lurker

ryan162

Mechanical watches....Who doesn't admire a machine so very well designed and manufactured? A promotion at work resulted in scratching a long felt itch for owning a nice watch. Some small research later I understood anything I would buy would most likely require a costly service and, more importantly, the service was something I should be able to accomplish on my own. Any chance to buy tools instead of a service is always rewarding. I'm gearing up to service a tired 1943 Bulova Ord watch that's running quite well already so that brings me here. Thank you to all those who have posted on this. There is a large knowledge base I hope to learn from and add to. 

PXL_20221007_204809289.jpg

Thank you for the welcomes! There is a extreme amount of grime built up on those jewels it seems. I have not tried to remove it yet because I'm still waiting on lubricants before I take this apart. The big assumption I have is some heavy oil/grease was gooped there decades ago and dried up, so I hope that appearance isn't a indicator of devastation below. It will be a fun adventure for sure. 

The jewels look fine. It looks like someone has wiped the movement with Rodico (or BluTac ?) and some has remained on the jewels. What ever was used it was very dirty - look at the smears on the bridges.

Apart from all the dirt, it looks to be in good condition. Good luck with the service. 

• Like 3

Thank you for the replies. I hadn't considered a clay of some sort but zooming in further sure does look like it. Yikes...I hope someone didn't pay good money for that job. Of course it is running 80 years later so I guess things could have been worse for it. 

Screenshot_20221008-113433.png