In over my head in a hurry

Having seen a WikiBook at Budget Watch Collecting on how easy it might be to clean and lube a Timex automatic, I found one (bought it for $2) and opened it up. I am now looking at a movement that appears far more sophisticated than what I expected, and a part came adrift as well, and I don't know where to put it. The watch: It runs (ran) and all functions seem to work but slowly. That is, it winds, it retains reserve from motion, it just loses time (hours, not minutes). So you will know the state of my ability, until now I have limited myself to quartz watches, putting in new batters, replacing a movement. I have successfully replaced a movement and then put the dial back and mounted the hands!

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could direct me to a walkthrough or some sort of instruction that might apply to what I believe to be an M100 movement in watch 33810079. If I read that correctly, this is a 1979 vintage Timex in model 338 with movement 100. The small ladies case supports this. Pictures below: (notice the small object between the movement and the dial in the left-hand photo)

I hope I have provided sufficient information and avoided violating customs here. If I have not, please advise me.

Best,

DelK

VQEN5056.JPG

AYMK3236.JPG

45 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

For a few dollars more, you can get a swiss-lever watch that will be 100 times easier to work on and everything you learn on it will be fungible knowledge going forward.

I might try that after wrestling with my Timex; thanks.

3 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

For a few dollars more, you can get a swiss-lever watch that will be 100 times easier to work on and everything you learn on it will be fungible knowledge going forward.

Fungible.  Now that's a two dollar word.  Someone used the word gleaned earlier dut I didn't have time to respond.

I just started a thread about Timex watches in "Chat About Watches & The Industry". I didn't think it was appropriate here.

Shane 

• Like 1

If what is pictured is the part that came adrift, between the movement and dial, it is the cannon pinion assembly and it goes back onto the tall staff right in the center of the movement (which drives your seconds hand from the center wheel)

• Like 2

On 8/27/2022 at 4:04 PM, mbwatch said:

If what is pictured is the part that came adrift, between the movement and dial, it is the cannon pinion assembly and it goes back onto the tall staff right in the center of the movement (which drives your seconds hand from the center wheel)

Thanks, that is exactly it, and I also found it on the movement parts exploded view. It is still in pieces as I figure out how to get to some of the hidden spots that need it. Especially the two escape wheel teeth. More disassembly seems to be required.

On 8/29/2022 at 1:42 PM, grsnovi said:

This animated web page has a load of great information.

Of course, Mark offers a series of online, self-paced instruction at https://www.watchfix.com/ that is quite good.

This is an amazing page.  I have not had enough time to read through it but the modeling really took some time and effort.  If the text is comes close to equaling those illustrations, this will prove to be a priceless educational tool.  I have already sat down with my grandson and talked to him about the subject of gear ratios using this page.  He hasn't got it yet but you can see that he will.

Thanks so much from us all.

And thank you grsnovi for bringing it to my attention.

Shane 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2022 at 4:24 PM, DelK said:

Especially the two escape wheel teeth. More disassembly seems to be required.

Don't take off the big plate unless absolutely necessary! It is quite challenging to put back together.

To lubricate the escape wheel teeth and the pallet pins, you should be able to see them through one of the holes in the roundish plate (on the bottom side, not the dial side). Just one or two escape wheel teeth will be visible through the hole - get some oil on one of them and work the balance around to spread it over more teeth. Your photo is dark but I believe it's one of these hole, probably the upper-right:

2112010984_Screenshotfrom2022-09-0220-21-42.png.3f9dfb8c5cd21cc5a2299119add92db1.png

To be honest, I am still totally green at this and I had no real issues getting my first couple of Timexes back together after fully disassembling them. Now I've really got the hang of it. The Electric I'm working on now is the first troublesome one (way harder than the conventional windup ones). For a hobbyist with time to waste, they're fine and not as bad as everyone says. I can see how for a professional though, the extra 10 minutes of fussy work would be disruptive.

One thing that is great about them for novices: parts are abundant. If something goes wrong, you can usually find a suitable replacement ending uncontested at auction within the hour. Good luck!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mbwatch said:

To be honest, I am still totally green at this and I had no real issues getting my first couple of Timexes back together after fully disassembling them. Now I've really got the hang of it. The Electric I'm working on now is the first troublesome one (way harder than the conventional windup ones). For a hobbyist with time to waste, they're fine and not as bad as everyone says. I can see how for a professional though, the extra 10 minutes of fussy work would be disruptive.

One thing that is great about them for novices: parts are abundant. If something goes wrong, you can usually find a suitable replacement ending uncontested at auction within the hour. Good luck!

Thats the kind of positivity i like mb.  👍

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 8/29/2022 at 7:42 AM, grsnovi said:

This animated web page has a load of great information.

Of course, Mark offers a series of online, self-paced instruction at https://www.watchfix.com/ that is quite good.

Thanks for the link to the animated web page.  I'm a hands on type learner and that really helps me.  I'm just starting to explore this world of watches and so far it's been challenging to see some of the motions in these movements.