Radium watch materials

Hi, my name is Bruno I have a couple of wwii watches that I intend to start a cleaning and oiling process.

But I have got concerned about possible dangerous materials they could have specifically radium on dial (dial painting or numerals?) or hands.

My question is if this a real concern? Do you guys have experience about working on it? Or should I just give up on them for the best of my health.

i have an A-11 bulova (at least seems original) and an Alprosa, both supposed to be from WWII age.

3 hours ago, brunomartins said:

Hi, my name is Bruno I have a couple of wwii watches that I intend to start a cleaning and oiling process.

But I have got concerned about possible dangerous materials they could have specifically radium on dial (dial painting or numerals?) or hands.

My question is if this a real concern? Do you guys have experience about working on it? Or should I just give up on them for the best of my health.

i have an A-11 bulova (at least seems original) and an Alprosa, both supposed to be from WWII age.

Hi Bruno . I have quite  a few watches from the 30s up to the 50s that have radium lume. There are differences of opinions on this subject. Somewhere here is a chart with radioative danger levels of materials we encounter during general living. Radium lume did seem rather low in relation to what is hazardous to us and within certain guidelines of exposure.  That being said if incorrectly handled and disturbed risk would be higher. Any dust inhaled and absorption through your skin an obvious danger. The British MOD did change dials to a safer Tritium lume dial on their mil spec. watches after the second world war second as and when they were serviced . It doesnt stop me working on watches with radium but i am extra careful and do wear a face mask as a precaution.  The risks though are entirely your decision.  People can smoke heavily all through their life without any cancer scares others get away with very little. Some research on the subject will help you decide.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brunomartins said:

Have a read of our pinned topic below, and continue the discussion there.

• Like 1

• jdm locked this topic