Hello guys,

First, sorry if I am creating a repetitive post, but I could not find a comprehensive Topic regarding stem identification and and selection. If there is one, please let me know and I may delete this one.

I am planning to start a project on a Ralco (couldn't id. the model or cal.) that apparently has a movement in good condition, but missing stem/crown. I've searched about what stem model could fit in advance or what characteristics I should identify in the killer setting so I can choose a stem in the market but it was frustrating. 

I was wondering if the stem replacement is a easy quick task to solve with a pack of generic stems and crowns models or there are some features to be observed in the process to select the tight model of stem.

Best regards

39 minutes ago, brunomartins said:

I am planning to start a project on a Ralco (couldn't id. the model or cal.) 

That name means nothing. Post good pictures of top and dial side with the dial removed, to identify it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jdm said:

That name means nothing. Post good pictures of top and dial side with the dial removed, to identify it.

You're right. The photos below. 

Also the Topic could be some comprehensive guidance (if there is) in the search for right stems.

Thank you

Captura de Tela 2022-07-15 às 19.21.03.png

Captura de Tela 2022-07-15 às 19.20.55.png

12 minutes ago, brunomartins said:

You're right. The photos below. 

For sure identification, please post a pictures of the mov.t dial side, with dial removed. It's diameter is also an helpful data. You can also look yourself removing the balance bridge as the mov.t maker and type could be stamped there.

12 minutes ago, brunomartins said:

Also the Topic could be some comprehensive guidance (if there is) in the search for right stems.

There is no topic on "right stems". First,  one needs to identify the mov.t as mentioned above.

6 minutes ago, mikepilk said:

Surely it's not. On the OP's, the balance is opposite to the stem, on the AS12xx is on the right, then all the consequent differences in basic layout. The reason why the best way is to look at the keyless side is because the makers often changed the bridge layout, for a better and more unique look. I understand that can be intimidating for beginners which never did casing work, and hope that the fix was a simple a fitting a new stem and crown. 

Going back to ranfft searches, In this case one can tick all the right search boxes, but none of the results seems to be a perfect match.

Edited by jdm

9 minutes ago, jdm said:

Surely it's not. On the OP's, the balance is opposite to the stem, on the AS12xx is on the right,

Look again at the Ranfft pic, the stem IS opposite the balance 😃

Looks a perfect match to me

(Sorry, you may be confused as I originally post as AS 1220 by mistake, then edited)

Edited by mikepilk

1 minute ago, jdm said:

OK, from which exact model have you included the picture? It is not the for the link you have posted. 

Sorry, my mistook. I have corrected the link to the AS1200. But as @clockboy suggests, it also looks like a 1048 😧

It's an AS of some sorts !

2 minutes ago, mikepilk said:

I have corrected the link to the AS1200.

Can you re-post the link for the picture you have included above?
That one is similar in the general layout and style, but the bridge screws are in a slightly different position. Which may or may not imply that the keyless, and stem, is different.

Capture.JPG.f5108b30b121833162149a3dca75761f.JPG

image.png.9a4062cf5b75b91b40994c00255c7afa.png.2a5a2e15b919888cb2c456de1f4f441a.png

But as @clockboy suggests, it also looks like a 1048 😧

The 1048 is basically the same as the picture you posted, but again with some difference.

It's an AS of some sorts !

I think so.