Seiko 7005-8020: Movement Gasket And Ring Stuck

Hi guys,

Im servicing a really grimy Seiko 7005-8020 watch, and after finally getting the corroded case back off (used the classic superglued screw-nut trick) I'm stuck at the movement rubber (plastic?) gasket and metal movement ring. The just won't move. Two questions:

1. Is there a trick getting the gasket off? It seems fairly hard, if I try to pry it it will probably break.
  2. Is it easy to source new generic gaskets for Seiko watches? I need both flat and round plastic and silicone gaskets for my ongoing projects, is it OK to just replace them with something similar of the same size? 

post-1123-0-06237600-1433330143_thumb.jp

Thanks for the help guys, I ended up carving it away piece by piece with a sharp blade and got the movement out. I have to say, the 7005 calibre is surprisingly different from the 6119 and 6309 movements I have worked on previously. Now I just have to find the right crystal and gaskets, too bad the Seiko Case Guide (awesome tip btw, saved the PDF) doesn't specify correct dimensions for crystals :) 

I've found the ultrasonic cleaner often removes the gasket in one piece, or complete destroys it ... one or the other.  But in saying that, crown and caseback seals should be replaced when they get to that stage of their life, trying to save them is fairly pointless.

Seals are cheap, repairing moisture damage is not.

• Like 1

Thanks! I found the correct crystal on Cousins, searching on the reference number helped. I also found this scan that I saved as a PDF, where all older Seiko references are listed with the corresponding crystal ID number. Maybe there should be a sticky file section and/or a Seiko sub forum?

Time to order some new gaskets and crystals for my Seiko projects!

Seiko Crystal Guide.pdf

I've found the ultrasonic cleaner often removes the gasket in one piece, or complete destroys it ... one or the other. But in saying that, crown and caseback seals should be replaced when they get to that stage of their life, trying to save them is fairly pointless.

Seals are cheap, repairing moisture damage is not.

In his situation, not a good idea as dial and date wheel still mounted as movement still inside case.

We all know what happens to date wheels in an ultrasonic cleaner don't we [emoji6]