Question regarding breguette hairsprings

Hi all,

As some may know, I’ve been working on  vintage watches for about a year and a half, so I’m still pretty new. I have success in getting a watch running well again about 75% of the time, at least when the primary needs are cleaning, oiling, and replacing a part or 3. I’m running into a repeated problem, however, when a watch has a breguette hairspring. The current patient is a Bulova 6AE.

The difficulty lies with properly fixing the hairspring between the regulator pins and then turning the key (proper term?) with a small screwdriver to hold it in place. I've included a photo to show what type of regulator I mean, if this does not adequately describe it. 

What has been happening is that I find it very hard to see whether or not the hairspring is within the pins, because obviously the rest of the hairspring is on top of the last coil (on top when the balance is upside down and I'm attempting to put the balance wheel back on the cock, before placing in the watch). I've tried placing the balance on a higher surface, and looking at it from the side with my loupe. This helps. But, once I do FINALLY get the hairspring between the two pins, it almost always pops out when I turn the key with my screwdriver, or worse, I think it causes a bend in the hairspring, because the hairspring doesn't stay down between the pins as I turn the key - rather it comes up and becomes wedged when I turn the key. I’ve tried adjusting the stud to bring the hairspring closer to the surface of the cock in hopes to prevent the key from pushing on the spring when I close it, but this never seems to resolve the problem  

This is highly frustrating, and I'm not sure if I am using the proper steps or tools to have success. Please let me know your thoughts, when you can. 

6217E787-5D51-47E2-A456-5AB6DAA72C68.jpeg

Hi  The term is boot as its shaped like one, some are just two pins and I have seen one that was just a "J " shape. try moving the regulator closer to the stud and as you turn the boot using a bit of peg wood (sharpened) to gently ease the spring down whilst closing the boot carefully.  Good magnification helps here.

36 minutes ago, Watcherwoman said:

breguette hairspring

I had to look very carefully at your picture because I typically never see this with this type of hairsprings. Typically on pocket watches all you have are the regulator pins. I'm guessing this must be a wristwatch thing although I don't know why they would do such an arrangement like this. Typically you only see this on flat hairsprings which is weird.

5 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi  The term is boot as its shaped like one, some are just two pins and I have seen one that was just a "J " shape. try moving the regulator closer to the stud and as you turn the boot using a bit of peg wood (sharpened) to gently ease the spring down whilst closing the boot carefully.  Good magnification helps here.

Thank you - I definitely wanted to push down on the hairspring while turning the boot, but how does one hold the balance cock steady while doing that? What I usually do is I hold down the balance cock with one hand while I’m turning the boot with the other. Is there some thing that is used to hold the cock in place?

5 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

I had to look very carefully at your picture because I typically never see this with this type of hairsprings. Typically on pocket watches all you have are the regulator pins. I'm guessing this must be a wristwatch thing although I don't know why they would do such an arrangement like this. Typically you only see this on flat hairsprings which is weird.

Yes, it is a wrist watch. I know, until lately I was only encountering one or the other, the pins or the boot with one pin. Never both. But this is now the third or fourth watch I have encountered that has been set up. Two pins and a boot. 

Hi As john remarked its a strange one usually the bregeut has just two pins this seems like belt and braces.  Put tghe balance cock on a bit of Rodivo to keep it all in place and not moving when you make your attempt. There are devices/tools used for holding balances 

21 minutes ago, watchweasol said:There are devices/tools used for holding balances 

Do you know what the devices/tools are called? I could definitely use one! I tried the rodico, but it’s not strong enough against the force of the turning boot, and the cock just turns within it. 

37 minutes ago, Watcherwoman said:

Do you know what the devices/tools are called? I could definitely use one! I tried the rodico, but it’s not strong enough against the force of the turning boot, and the cock just turns within it. 

I feel your pain.  Here is my solution. One pin holds the cock on the platform and other stops it from rotating. I printed it with a 3D printer and mounted it on a steel block.  It is not perfect, but it is better than the other things I have tried.  Here of late, I have been pondering improvements.

2022-06-23 14_46_15-IMG_8787.JPG ‎- Photos.png

If you think you would like to try this approach, I will print one for you and send it.