Hello from SC

Reneb3

I am retired and like fiddling.  A friend asked if I could look at his great uncles pocket watch (1917 Elgin) and the saga began.  I watched YouTube videos and became an overnight expert.  Not really but it sounds good.  I like working on them and have started amassing tools.  I have repaired several, not the old Elgin yet, but have identified most of it’s issues.  Currently working on a Bulova A-11.  

• Like 3

Hi Reneb3,

I started on an old Elgin and made the mistake of thinking that just because I had another of the same grade I could swap parts. This is not the case.

Have you opened the Elgin to determine its serial number? Once you have the s/n go here:

https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/

and get additional information (like the grade, when it was made, how many were made, etc...).

Also, don't jump to the conclusion that the edited videos you see on YT represent the ability to disassemble, clean, oil and reassemble a watch in an hour.

Welcome to the forum!

- Gary

10 hours ago, Reneb3 said:

I am retired and like fiddling.  A friend asked if I could look at his great uncles pocket watch (1917 Elgin) and the saga began.  I watched YouTube videos and became an overnight expert.  Not really but it sounds good.  I like working on them and have started amassing tools.  I have repaired several, not the old Elgin yet, but have identified most of it’s issues.  Currently working on a Bulova A-11.  

Welcome Ren. This is a great place to start, a mixed bunch of friendly helpful pros, enthusiasts and hobbyists. If i can just give you a few tips when asking for advice if i may. Be as specific with your questions as your experience and knowledge will allow. Add some good quality accurate photos as you can get, macro shots are a big help as very often a helper will spot something missing or broken or a part the wrong way round. Photos of the dial face also as the brand can be relavant in many cases. Both sides of the movement and plenty of the side you are working on. The make and calibre is very important to know, so mention this in the title if you know it. If you dont then the photos from the train side and keyless works will help others identify it for you. Pick out logos, numbers and any lettering you notice anywhere on the movement, these are very relevant especially if you need to source parts or others to help you to source them. Think I've covered most of the initial questioning criteria Ren. This all helps then you and others can get to work repairing and helping. 👍

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
  • Like 1