Already, the hours just slide by.

Now 72, I've always been a "tinkerer".  I don't remember ever taking apart a watch but there were a couple of Briggs & Stratton lawnmower engines that didn't survive a young boy with a wrench and screwdriver.  Over the years "do it yourself" naturally taught skills and now the ease of ordering parts on-line and the seeming limitless library of helpful YouTube videos makes it possible to at least attempt repairing almost anything.   My wife and I were blue water cruisers for a dozen or so years - living in very remote places along Central America and the South Pacific.  That life will teach you a lot about self sufficiency and repairing diesels, refrigeration, plumbing, winches, and on and on.  Either you fix something or you do without.  We've been back in the States for almost two decades and hardly give a second thought to the conveniences of flush toilets, infinite fresh water, air conditioning in summer, and the miracle of fresh broccoli in the dead of winter.  Wouldn't think of putting a wrench to the engine of our modern vehicles but there are plenty of small engines, hydraulic pumps, washing machines, and other things to keep me busy.

I scrolled back through YouTube's History to find it was Fernando's "Collecting Vintages Watches" channel that recently started me down the rabbit hole of restoring older mechanical watches.   Haven't yet taken the back off the Elgin pocket watch that's been kicking around in the junk drawer.  But I've watched hours of relaxing videos and started a list of the small set of really necessary tools.  Thankfully, I came across the often repeated suggestion to start with an inexpensive working movement to avoid the frustration of hard to find parts.  Mark Lovick's course is in my near future and I look forward to the satisfaction and quiet work of tinkering with watches.

• Like 2

Welcome @Cherrybark! Mark's courses will get you started and there are quite a few YouTube channels (besides Mark's) that enjoy repeat visits because they're very well done. Watching somebody tear down, clean lubricate a re-assemble a watch can set up unrealistic expectations.

Mark's level 2 course will allow you to work along with him by purchasing an inexpensive movement for about $35. From there you could move on to your Elgin. Once you open your Elgin, you can find out more by visiting here with the s/n from the main plate:

https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/

Don't spend all your money on tools and enjoy! 🙂

@grsnoviThank you for posting the link to the correct watch for Mark's course.  I'm trying to not dive into the deep end of the pool and understand parts can be a problem for old watches.  Learning with a new, affordable movement is a great idea.  Studying celestial navigation with a modern digital watch reveals how critical, and how crude, accurate timekeeping was for early explorers.  Dana Sobel's book "Longitude" gave me a peek into the competition to build the first portable clocks.  At this point, I'll be happy just to learn the basic mechanics of a simple watch.  I'm sure that  starting idea has lured many members into a long, rewarding hobby.   Happily, my wife indulges my hobbies.