Advice? Trying to repair vintage Tempus Fugit clock

I picked up this cute clock (see pic) for $1 at a yard sale and have made it a personal project to try to get it working again. Professional repair is not currently in my budget and I am enjoying trying to do it myself, but could use some information/advice please.

Originally the knobs turned to set the time and alarm, but the wind-up key was stuck and the alarm only made a slight click. I removed the back and found a loose screw - once returned to its place the key turns again, but still won't power the clock. I then removed the 2 top plates and found 3 loose cogs. When the cogs were removed the alarm began working. I returned 2 cogs to their place, now the wind-up key spins the hands then rapidly spins back and stops, and the alarm is back to just a slight click. The 3rd cog (see pic) is still removed as I am unsure of its proper placement. If anyone can help me find a manual or diagram, or advise me on repairs, I would be deeply appreciative. 

20220520_090106.jpg

20220520_090126.jpg

This is what happens to the hands when I wind the key, just a slow quarter turn.

20220520_094956_1.gif

16530658848111274802049973424561.jpg

16530661094624985729877859898834.jpg

The 2 cogs with blue dots are the ones I found loose and put back. When they were removed completely the alarm worked, but alarm went back to just a slight click when it tries to engage as soon as I put the cogs back.

20220520_100555.jpg

Edited by JustATinkerer

Ok, do you know where it should be? That is where I found them floating when I opened it, and it slightly engages the small cog at the top (to the right of the timing screw assembly), but doesn't fit quite right. The alarm also forces the minute hand forward about 5 mins when it tries to engage, but engages and rings fine if that cog and the one below it are completely removed. 

Edited by JustATinkerer

Don‘t know, but you can follow this logic: The pinion on the escape wheel should mesh with the so called „fourth wheel“ which again has a pinion that should mesh with the third wheel. The third wheel has a pinion that meshes with the center wheel on which the minute hand is positioned. The center wheel should have a pinion that meshes with the teeths of the main spring barrel.

The wheels that have not been in place should be the fourth and third wheel.

Edited by Kalanag
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well first off I would advise you to listen to OH, but also I would remove the movement from the case to carry out any work,  it will make lining up the pivots a lot easier. If you don’t there’s a strong possibility that you will snap a pivot when putting the plate back on.

• 1 year later...

I have the same clock in new condition, and I suspect the old oil is gummed up and creating too much friction for the movement to work. I have a similar skill level to just a tinkerer and wondering if anyone knows if the circled in green on the pic as the screws that will release the assembly from the case for further inspection before starting to dismantle the assembly? I cant work out how to insert the pic so I will try they are the 2 bottom left and right that appear recessed, and 1 at the top of the assembly, almost forming the tip of a triangle shape from the two at the bottom. Please advise regards Peter _ Australia