Handy Stem Removal Tip

Hi All,

I'm a late commer to watch repair. As I've mentioned in a reply to one of the members, the place where I work ordinarily goes as far a movement replacement.

The owner has good reason to limit the depth of the repair, but I can't help but want to go into the nuts 'n bolts.

Therefore, I have to find my own time to try things. With a busy home life, I'm limited.

Since I can replace movements I came up with a handy way to pull the stem (I can never find a movement holder).

I was taught to use an old stem as a release but, sometimes find it awkward

I modified two types of dental flossers. They permit me to hold the old stem with my index finger while using my thumb and middle finger to hold the movement.

I broke the tip off the flosser and used a pin vise to drill a hole to thread the stem into the end.

One style gives me a way to depress the dimple when it's offset. The other style uses a sewing machine needle.

I've attached photos.

Hope someone finds this helpful,

Dave

post-975-0-78064200-1432689283_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-70497000-1432689298_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I use the little dental brushes to clean the gunk around the stem holes.. both in the case and in the main plate

Anil

If you're referring to the tiny "pipe cleaner" type, I use them also.

I have to clean jewelry occasionally and they serve as a gentle cleaner in tight places.