Hello to the group

Mmsjr6

• 4 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• the arbor square out of place and mainspring thickness/height is what I would double check on this model....
    • Hello and welcome from Leeds.
    • For larger or longer components I have a home made demagnetiser, a old central heating pump with the rotor removed, works well. 
    • I agree - I use a magnetometer app on my iPad. A few years ago, I did invest in the Elma version of this demagnetiser. I have a background in electronics and when I cracked the unit open to explore it, I was very impressed - and reassured - by the careful attention given to the design and the quality of construction and quality of materials.  It will out-live me, and not because of any shock hazard 🙂  I find it very reliable for demagentizing watch movements, but for tools, especially elongated tools like tweezers and screwdrivers, they need to be done in sections, a couple of centimetres at a time.  I always also repeat the demagentising process several times with the object (usually a movement) oriented in several different planes - horizontally at 0 and 90 degrees and vertically.  Checking on the magnetometer app, the movement is effectively degaussed and I’ve not yet had to repeat the process. Just laying the movement horizontally and giving it a single shot sometimes works, but often doesn’t, hence my process above.  Using a compass, I doubt I’d ever know whether the process was effective or not.  The magnetometer is much more sensitive. I still use the Lepsi app, which was available for free, but which I don’t think is  available on the App Store any more.    
    • Hello everyone, I have just started on my  watch repair journey. Many mistakes …pinging springs and lost pallet forks !! My great Uncle was a clock maker with a royal warrant  and his ancestor stated the first hall in London so hopefully some thing rubs off . Looking forward to following the  topics on this forum