Proper care for Timex electric watches

RobP253

I have several timex electric watches,  the q models, a Durango and a couple Mickey Mouse watches. They are all perfectly running but my question is:  what’s the proper way to maintain them?  Specifically should they be kept running at all times or should the crowns be pulled out to prevent unnecessary wear and tear when not being used? I know mechanical watches should be kept running, but don’t know much about electric models. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/18/2022 at 2:17 PM, RobP253 said:

Specifically should they be kept running at all times or should the crowns be pulled out to prevent unnecessary wear and tear when not being used?

More than wear you avoid discharging the battery for no reason, a discharged battery may leak but a charged (and not discharging) one does not.

On 3/18/2022 at 2:17 PM, RobP253 said:

I know mechanical watches should be kept running, 

That is incorrect. A mechanical watch will actually wear out if left running all the time unnecessarily. And if you have watches that are never worn, just run them very 6 months or so.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the intro @RobP253 welcome to the WRT forum! I'm also relatively new and I'm in the middle of my first service of an Elgin Grade 313 movement which has been stalled for a while as I was waiting for oil and a mainspring winder. Well, my oil arrived today and luckily I picked up an identical 2nd movement so as I disassemble that one it will help me remember how to re-assemble the first one! I've posted some shots of my watches here.

Good advice above about the batteries. If the watch has hands that turn they'll have had oil on the guts at some point and if you just let it sit, the oil will get gummy and just popping a battery back in 20 years from now probably won't yield a happy watch.