Clock movement stands--a 3D solution

LittleWatchShop

I bought a set of stands for holding movements while working on them.  Got them yesterday and quickly realized that there was a trivial 3D printed solution, so I designed a set of stands using printed top and bottom and an M4 bolt.

3D printed one is on the left.  I made mine a little taller, but the height is just the screw choice.

2022-03-18 06_27_46-20220318_061917.jpg ‎- Photos.png

• Like 3

I never used such things can't see the point, you need to pick the movement up to do any adjusting and you certainly need to hold the movement at eye level when you are feeding the wheels into the plate holes. I see repairers on Youtube  using them and they just get in the way. 

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

I never used such things can't see the point, you need to pick the movement up to do any adjusting and you certainly need to hold the movement at eye level when you are feeding the wheels into the plate holes. I see repairers on Youtube  using them and they just get in the way. 

I bow to you as the expert, but my experience is different.  As you have seen I have been working on several ST movements here of late and they are quite difficult to hold with one hand while manipulating with the other.  I can do it...and have done it too many times (due to the trouble I have given myself on the recent service!!).  When I was a kid doing clocks for my dad, I held them as well.

However...today in my last (pretty sure I am done) tear down, I found these stands to be simply incredible.  They allowed me to leave the quarter hour chimes intact while I worked on the remainder of the movement.  Moreover, I was able to use two hands to do manipulation of wheels and levers.  It was quite the joy.

But I get it...if you find your work flow working for you...no reason to change.

5 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Do you a wooden box or blocks to rest the movement when you put it down on the bench?

I use these type of stands too. But they do get in the way at times and I have to move them out of the way to work sometimes. And they do leave slight marks on the brass plate.

Sometimes I just rest the movement on an old Tupperware box.

• Like 1

I used to have a wooden block I would use for striking movements and just time pieces but it was no good for chime movements that had under slung chimes, I used to screw those to a piece of wood. 

Tupperware is something I haven't heard of for years. My Mum God rest her soul used to buy loads of it, she would hold Tupperware parties.