Makes to avoid

Hi Frank   as far as I know  there are no lists ony books on the subject of watch collecting. In the modern world there are many franken watches and fakes, Tribute, clones etc and some of them very good but detectable by the experts, some on here. So if you are unsure ask and you shall recieve much, hopefully un biased information.   Even the humble Timex has its collectors, Jersey Mo , a member has amassed a collection of watches ,parts , information and knowledge. So its a case of make up yourmind what you want to collect or what range to collect and the depth of your pocket. What was it Del boy said  " The world is your Mollusc"

• Like 1

A list of watches to avoid?  I suppose it all depends on *what* aspect you're trying to avoid.  I could offer my two cents here, but that's all it is, so have your grain of salt ready.  As quality goes, I'd certainly avoid any of the cheap "replica" watches (i.e. fake).  The Chinese movements they tend to have in them are often unreliable and very fragile; some have no markings anywhere on the movement and that makes finding replacement parts extremely difficult.
As ease of maintenance goes, I've heard and seen that the antique "dollar watches" are not for beginners, to say the least.  Certain aspects of their construction can make them difficult to work upon until you get used to them. But there are many who collect them, and have learned how best to maintain them.
I can no longer say that I would avoid Timex though.  They are a bit different, even quirky, what with the mechanical ones being mostly pin levers.  But they are simple and plenty of parts are available, and they have much to teach.  I've seen some brilliant innovation in some of  them.  If you want experience with pin levers but you don't want to worry about scarce parts, putter about on an old Timex.
This last bit I'd reserve for beginners.  If you're looking for a watch to practice with, or one to own but also maintain yourself, I would avoid "complications".  In other words, mechanical watches with a lot of extra functions, sub dials with calendars, alarms, etc.  If, on the other hand, you have that level of experience or are not easily intimidated, no reason not to get one.  But I'm prepared to admit, I was privileged to work on an antique minute repeater recently, and I was apprehensive to the point of questioning my self-worth. I was filling my phone up with pictures of the works.  I was giving myself headaches trying to keep track of exactly how each part of the chiming train interacted.  I got it sorted in the end, and with great care and a little trial and error, and I learned loads about them, but I do hope it will be a long while before I ever have to work on another repeater.  I need to catch my breath after something like that.

I think, really, one should mostly consider one's preference.  What do you value in a watch?  What do you do with them?  When you look for a watch, what are you hoping to find?  If you can answer those questions, we can point at the watches that meet those elements.

Edited by KarlvonKoln
  • Like 3

Just google collectable watches. 

Hard to tell genuine apart from fake if you have never seen a genuine piece and don't have a image of whats inside, though there are so many makes of caliber 7750 that some non-genuine ones have as good of quality as genuines. 

As said show pix here for help, thats what I do.

Regs

• Like 1

KvK nailed it. Depends on what it is you're trying to avoid. There's an ass for every seat. I tend to avoid Japanese movements because they're typically very plainly finished, and I like the French/Swiss flair. I avoid Russian watches, because they're almost universally in plated cases. I also avoid anything with less than 15 jewels because it's more likely to have wear requiring the sourcing of parts that no one cared enough about to hold onto. Finally, I avoid anything too expensive (the current bar is $5). This is because I'm not trying to impress anyone (and trust me, it's working), I'm still learning, and this is not a job for me, it's a hobby. It's meant to be fun and relaxing. If my 2 year old runs in and bumps my elbow, and I manage to break something or cast it into the aether, it's not fun for anyone. If it's barely a fancy coffee to me, who cares? It goes into the parts pail, and I move on.

• Like 3

Even fashion watches have their place. Obviously a lot of people like them. Timex recently came out with a watch or series of watches using Sea Gull movements. Not flashy by any means, but perfectly serviceable (multiple meanings). I always nudge people toward the 404 Club thread. Give you an idea of what sorts of watches people have deemed worthy of at least a little effort.