Hello all

Hi fellas

i'm Frank from East Yorkshire in the UK.

Im fast approaching retirement and have recently been fascinated by the youtube videos on watch repair.  So i am sort of thinking this a hobby i might to take up to keep me occupied in my spare time.

My only issue is, i only have sight in one eye and i wonder if it might be too much of a strain. So having said that, does one have to use the eyepieces for this hobby or are their alternative ways to view and work on the inner workings.

cheers all.

Hi Frank and welcome to the forum   The wearing of a loupe or eyeglass is not obliatory, I you wear spectacles there are clip on single, double and triple lenses each giving a different focal length or used with each other  to make up varying focal lengths, there are also binocular head bands and or microscopes for detailed work.  for general work I use the headband or clip ons close work a single loupe in the left eye.  Take a quick look at cousins uk watch material house  online catalogue which will give you all the vatious options.  Being monocular would pose little handicap if working on pocket watches/clocks etc.     What bit of East yorks are you Lived in yorksire fir 60 years brither still lives in Hull

• Like 1

2 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Frank and welcome to the forum   The wearing of a loupe or eyeglass is not obliatory, I you wear spectacles there are clip on single, double and triple lenses each giving a different focal length or used with each other  to make up varying focal lengths, there are also binocular head bands and or microscopes for detailed work.  for general work I use the headband or clip ons close work a single loupe in the left eye.  Take a quick look at cousins uk watch material house  online catalogue which will give you all the vatious options.  Being monocular would pose little handicap if working on pocket watches/clocks etc.     What bit of East yorks are you Lived in yorksire fir 60 years brither still lives in Hull

Hi watchweasol

Good information and makes me feel like i could do this as an hobby without too much worrry. I shall definitely take a look at Cousins UK.

Born and bred in Kingston upon Hull my friend. Hessle Road boy to be precise. Love it here.

Edited by FrankMachin

3 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Frank  Brother lives on Hessle Road. Where the fly over from Clive sulivan way crosses near Sainsburys and meets Hessle Road right on the junction.   Small world.  A little light reading to whet the appetite.   all the best to Yorkshire.

1612608791_ToolsfortheHobbyist (2) (1).pdf 371.51 kB · 0 downloads TZIllustratedGlossary.pdf 4.2 MB · 0 downloads

Thanks for the pdfs very handy.

Even smaller world mate i live around the corner from your brother.

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum Frank. Enjoy.  🙂 

I would have thought you would be under less strain with only having sight in one eye. You will see many pictures of watch makers using a single eye loupe and keeping their other eye closed while that do so. That can become tiring.

I have somehow been able to learn to leave my non-dominant eye open and ignore whatever it sees when using a higher magnification on my dominant eye.