Spring Yoke Needed

Hi, I am trying to learn Watchmaking and I picked up a starter kit and video lessons from Christian Lass. Along with the starter kit I ordered a Parnis Pilot Watch from his website. I believe it is a ST3600 Movement.

I just finished taking the movement apart and have been trying to get the Yoke Spring back in and it flew away. Really need a good way to get it in though when I get one.

I need a replacement spring. What would you recommend?

I would recommend searching for your yoke spring. Get a bar magnet and a good flashlight and do a systematic search of the last known location. then widen your search area. It might take awhile but runaway parts are usually found eventually.

I not aware of any replacement parts available for Chinese movements. But I might be wrong as the ST3600 is a very popular beginner's watch movement.

There are generic springs assortments available from good material houses like Cousins. They may not be a perfect fit but some minor modification will usually solve the problem.

Good luck and keep us posted of your progress.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HectorLooi said:

I would recommend searching for your yoke spring. Get a bar magnet and a good flashlight and do a systematic search of the last known location. then widen your search area. It might take awhile but runaway parts are usually found eventually.

I not aware of any replacement parts available for Chinese movements. But I might be wrong as the ST3600 is a very popular beginner's watch movement.

There are generic springs assortments available from good material houses like Cousins. They may not be a perfect fit but some minor modification will usually solve the problem.

Good luck and keep us posted of your progress.

Thank you. I have not found it yet. The problem is I'm not sure which direction it went in.

I have ordered the YOKE SPRING 440 for an ETA Unitas 6497 6497-1 6497-2 6498 6498-1 6498-2 hoping that that will work as a replacement.

6 hours ago, matthewlawson3 said:

Thank you. I have not found it yet. The problem is I'm not sure which direction it went in.

If you not finding it wherever you're looking then look somewhere else. One of the things you going to get really good at in watch repair it is finding things. Because watch parts have a habit of flying away. It also sometimes helps to have a second set of eyes some people are better at spotting hiding parts that others.

24 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

If you not finding it wherever you're looking then look somewhere else. One of the things you going to get really good at in watch repair it is finding things. Because watch parts have a habit of flying away. It also sometimes helps to have a second set of eyes some people are better at spotting hiding parts that others.

Thank you 

Do you think the YOKE SPRING 440 for an ETA Unitas 6497 6497-1 6497-2 6498 6498-1 6498-2  will fit the ST3600 movement?

1 minute ago, matthewlawson3 said:

Do you think the YOKE SPRING 440 for an ETA Unitas 6497 6497-1 6497-2 6498 6498-1 6498-2  will fit the ST3600 movement?

As mentioned above, these are generic bent wire spring. No need to be specific to the mov.t, you can buy an assortment and have the peace of mind of being covered about.

22 minutes ago, matthewlawson3 said:

I guess you would just cut to size if needed, correct?

Yes. The more you learn to do small fixes like that, the more you become closer to a watchmaker as opposed to a parts swapper.

5 hours ago, matthewlawson3 said:

The problem is there isn't really any cross reference with Chinese watches to anything else in the universe. But this is a clone of a 6497 so conceivably some parts interchange. The yoke spring is cheap just buy one and see if it fits. Otherwise somebody has to take their 6497 and compare it to a spring out of the Swiss watch. Which then it assumes that you have both the Swiss and the Chinese movement at the same time and that there weren't any variations between your Chinese movement and somebody else's but it probably does fit

2 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

The problem is there isn't really any cross reference with Chinese watches to anything else in the universe. But this is a clone of a 6497 so conceivably some parts interchange. The yoke spring is cheap just buy one and see if it fits. Otherwise somebody has to take their 6497 and compare it to a spring out of the Swiss watch. Which then it assumes that you have both the Swiss and the Chinese movement at the same time and that there weren't any variations between your Chinese movement and somebody else's but it probably does fit

Okay. I've ordered about 5 springs so we'll see. I'd like to wear my pilot watch eventually so I'll have to have a working ST3600 haha. Worse come to worse I could rebuild the movement without the spring and buy another ST3600 and fit the dial and hands to it.

Two questions:

When reinserting the Yoke Spring does it go beside the Yoke or under the Yoke while in its slot? It is my understanding it needs to go beside it.

Do ordered movements come oiled and regulated?

I just watched this video on the servicing of a ST3600. At 10:54, the installation of the yoke spring is shown. The back end of a pegwood stick is used to hold down the spring to stop it from flying away. You need to master this skill. You can test whether the pegwood is really holding down the spring by tugging at the spring and giving it a light twang. 

Hope this helps.

7 minutes ago, HectorLooi said:

I just watched this video on the servicing of a ST3600. At 10:54, the installation of the yoke spring is shown. The back end of a pegwood stick is used to hold down the spring to stop it from flying away. You need to master this skill. You can test whether the pegwood is really holding down the spring by tugging at the spring and giving it a light twang. 

Hope this helps.

Thank you. Very useful.