Odd jewel retention on little Bulova 6CLC.

Greeting all. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with a rather unusual capped escape jewel design on a little Bulova 6CLC? It was suggested that, with the proper tool, the retainer might thread out. This makes sense, but I've never seen such a tool. The 3-prong Kif tools are all too big to be of any help. Thanks in advance. Cheers.

JewelOfDenial.jpg

I was informed that this type of jewel is friction fit, and not meant to be removed. The "spokes" that look like they'd take a special tool are in reality vents to assist in cleaning and drying. So there you have it. Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MrRoundel said:

was informed that this type of jewel is friction fit

I agree with the above statement. If you look at the image I snipped out of your image notice that your jewel has something peculiar or specifically the setting. Notice in three separate locations there's openings? I reasonably sure that the purpose of those openings are to allow the cleaning fluid to penetrate and go between the hole jewel and the end stone. Otherwise if it was your normal jewel you never get the cleaning fluids in.

jewel it's not meant to come apart.JPG

31 minutes ago, spectre6000 said:

I guess I just thought more highly of Bulova than that. A cap jewel on an escape wheel without one on the center wheel is blatant jewel count inflation. Kinda disappointing.

Everybody did it then (and now?). Only issue I have is after 40 x years even the best solutions in a 13k bucks machine doesn't get all traces of old oil. The design is good, modern cleaning methods should be ok. But you can't see it. I have one of those 13k machines and change fluids very frequently, and regularly have remnants on certain jewels. Especially vintage pieces- and I often preclean with benzine! For a piece like this I'd say 2 trips in a "classic" machine for sure. Avoids amplitude questions later haha.

On 3/4/2022 at 8:43 AM, Nucejoe said:

What do you find odd about this? 

Nothing aside from the fact that I'd never seen one like it. If they are common, it may just be that I don't get out much, i.e., haven't worked on that many wrist-watches.

And yes, that jewel "kit" is indeed on the escape wheel, and does have a cap jewel. Many thanks, all. Cheers.

Edited by MrRoundel
Added "cap jewel" statement.
  • Thanks 1