Small Smiths 8 day chiming clock

clockboy

1 hour ago, watchweasol said:

Nice clocks  nd good runners  The floating balance can be a bit of a bother to regulate.  It was licensed to Smiths from Hermle.  I have attached a document on the balance     ,( probably teaching Granny to suck eggs ),        hope its use full

hermle_floating_bal_summary.pdf 458.18 kB · 2 downloads

Thanks for the attachment.. Looking the movement is a later model and it looks very clean. It’s still running great so it might be just a clean up the case and return. 

Wear is often found around the escape wheel on these so you might need to remove that small plate. I always used to put a very tiny drop of pocket watch oil on the top part of the floating balance then move the balance up and down so it has a little lubrication. 

clockboy you should know better it isn't a chime. You should stand in the corner and go to bed without having any tea. 🤣

3 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Wear is often found around the escape wheel on these so you might need to remove that small plate. I always used to put a very tiny drop of pocket watch oil on the top part of the floating balance then move the balance up and down so it has a little lubrication. 

clockboy you should know better it isn't a chime. You should stand in the corner and go to bed without having any tea. 🤣

😔😔OK OK, it strikes the hours and half hours. 😊

• Like 1