Oops

There is a reason we keep containers of assorted screws, and often a magnet, within easy reach.

Other tricks we know: use good quality tweezers and learn how to dress the tips, a piece of nylon stocking (panty hose) secured to the end of a vacuum nozzle with a rubber band - for picking up light stuff without sucking it in, good bright flashlight, I also made a bench apron for which the lower edge of it fastens below the front edge of my bench, for parts which must be removed while under tension or pressure (such as click springs or battery strap screws) many of us undertake the operation with the movement placed inside a clear Ziploc-style bag and we reach in to work on the part.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good magnets on a sweep bar (magnets from modern presentation boxes are good).

Led light bar, wave it about in the dark.

Gaffa tape wound round hand, adhesive side out, rub around work area, then inspect under magnification if needed.  Good for non-magnetic parts and jewels.

Old fashioned brush and pan sweep around then inspect debris with magnet and magnification.

Don't forget to include yourself in the above!

Keep workbench clean and as empty as possible.

Keep tools well dressed to avoid launching parts, use bags/cling film/rodico for springy parts.

Look beyond the obvious!

Collect brownie points from your other half for keeping the place clean !!!

If still not found, order new part.  Guaranteed old part will turn up before order is delivered !!! Then cancel order if possible!

Edited by canthus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RichardHarris123 said:

I lost 2 screws, is it because I'm an beginner or do old timers do it too? 

As I posted recently on another topic.

It's about preventing disasters before they happen. Before starting even trivial work, checklist:

Am I seated correctly, work at least chest high?

Do I have good light?

Is the bench free of clutter?

Do I have a non slipping work mat, traditional watchmaker's or electronics silicone as preferred?

Do I have decent tweezers, and am I handling them correctly?

Do I have correctly sized screwdrivers (brand or price not important), which are dressed correctly so they wedge into the head slot and keep it firm ?

Do I have a dust tray, or at least a small clear box where immediately put and keep safe all parts in case I'm interrupted or an accident happens?

If the answer to any of these is no, do yourself and the watch a favor and stop until all conditions are met. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1