Omega Cal. 630 Driving Wheel Over Third Wheel - Advice Needed

Good afternoon everyone - troubling you for a bit of help 🙂

Picked up a little Omega to work on as a Xmas present for my mother. 

First problem I came across was removing the stem, as I was used to the push down or screw type of release mechanism - little did I know this was a combined one, unscrew and then push down to get the job done. 

But the main issue I had, was removing the driving wheel, as I believe this was glued on (didn't think of leaving it on and cleaning it like that); I used the Bergeon presto tool but unfortunately the third wheel pinion snapped. (second photo)  For future use I picked up a Bergeon 6016 as I feel it give me a bit more control. 

So, off to the internet I went, and after some time I received my parts 630-1240 third wheel with long pinion and 630-1249 driving wheel over third wheel. 

Movement is back together and working nicely, third wheel poking out as intended, but I can't push the driving wheel back in - I know it's a friction fit, but it should require around the same amount of force as fitting a seconds hand correct? To get it in half way already required more pressure than I was comfortable applying, especially as I could end up snapping the pinion again. Should I pull out my cutting broaches or order a new 630-1249 driving wheel? 

Many thanks! 

L. 

IMG_4068.jpeg

IMG_4126.jpeg

IMG_4130.jpeg

IMG_4128.jpeg

IMG_4129.jpeg

8 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Hello L.  Welcome to the club. 

I heard some folks have had better luck using a staking set to drive the min wheel home with. 

Following your thread with interest.

Good luck.

Thank you good sir 🙂

Have been contemplating on this - the staking set would be used basically to apply even pressure on the wheel? 

If that's the logic, then a fixed hands setting tool should work as well (to ensure even distribution of pressure when pushing down). 

Just looking at the least expensive option to move this forward, haha.

Hello L. 

I am not sure if use of staking set is a sure approach, have just heard about better success rate by its .

Pull streight up with presto tool is about the only advice you can expect here, yet facts are removal/repalcement of min wheel is risky.

I think your right bout the logics of even pressure distribution.

Regs 

Joe

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Solution6 said:

First problem I came across was removing the stem, as I was used to the push down or screw type of release mechanism - little did I know this was a combined one, unscrew and then push down to get the job done. 

I think you'll find that a lot of the screw type you have to push a little bit. It depends on the parts on the other side but it's not just unscrew pull the stem out a lot of times you have to hold the screw down.

21 hours ago, Solution6 said:

Movement is back together and working nicely, third wheel poking out as intended, but I can't push the driving wheel back in - I know it's a friction fit, but it should require around the same amount of force as fitting a seconds hand correct? To get it in half way already required more pressure than I was comfortable applying, especially as I could end up snapping the pinion again. Should I pull out my cutting broaches or order a new 630-1249 driving wheel? 

You should build the use your hand press or staking said or basically anything that puts an even downward pressure. As to how much force is required that is the interesting question? Did you try flipping the wheel over and seeing if it goes on better the other direction. Usually they always seem to be facing one direction. Conveniently the instructions don't tell you which side goes down. Then yes there is a possibility that you may have to open up the whole a little bit. But I would be extremely careful with doing that as it's easy to go too far.

• Like 1

Right gents, all sorted - picked up another 630-1249 driving wheel which went in much easier. 

Used a regular hand fitting tool, there has been some slight bending when installing, but luckily no damage! Need to get a hands press for future use. 

Also keeping an eye on some Ebay staking sets just in case 😉 

IMG_4148.jpeg

IMG_4152.jpeg

IMG_4154.jpeg

IMG_4146.jpeg

• Like 2