Revue 57, ATP

antonyh

Just a asking your thoughts. 

I'm just waiting for a watch from Ebay, I'm going to relume the hands, because looking at them I'm assuming that they would have had green lume in them. 

As for the dial do you think it would have had the luminous dots on the dial or not. 

Your thoughts are welcome. 

s-l1600-39.jpg

43 minutes ago, antonyh said:

I'm going to relume the hands, because looking at them I'm assuming that they would have had green lume in them. 

As for the dial do you think it would have had the luminous dots on the dial or not. 

I love the word assume. Because I'm assuming that there was no florescent material at all including the hands.

then the Internet I went searching for images I was thinking perhaps I was wrong? I notice these were listed under military watches and that would imply radium typically. If you look at the watches that have radium on the dial's it's quite prominent. Not just prominent but a lot of times the mark the dial so they know where to put the radium. But if there was a radium marking on the dial it seems like there would've been residue which you have none

then I was thinking perhaps the hands had something but the dial definitely did not but I found the last example. You'll notice in this example the hands are over the seconds markings and apparently they have transparent radium or no radium at all.

watch dial in the discussion.JPG

watch dial three.JPG

watch dial to.JPG

watch dial one.JPG

John is on the money. Those Vertex ATP had radium lume which is now looking orange / brown. Your hands are the original blues steel type. So, wash your hands after handling. 

Your dial is a later MoD re-dial by the look of things. I like it. Curious that it does not have lume plots. Perhaps intentional to not have lume. 

I do think it looks fine as-is. 

The crown is not original. I know somewhere that has the originals which are unique to this watch. 

• Like 1

Many thanks for your help and advice, the watch has arrived and I'm super impressed. 

There is 1 repair mark on the back and 80 years of dirt and grime on the outside, the case has cleaned up nicely, I will put a new glass and seal in it, leaving the original lead seal in it. 

Looking at the 2nd picture of John's watch pictures the crown looks the same, if you have the other type of crown John I'd be very grateful. 

The hands and dial have no evidence that they have had any lume on them, I'm so tempted too, it would make it more saleable to them masses. 

Just trying to get the picture of the movement up. 

43 minutes ago, antonyh said:

Looking at the 2nd picture of John's watch pictures the crown looks the same, if you have the other type of crown John I'd be very grateful.

technically those are not my pictures. I is search the Internet and then looked at the pictures and went through and found pictures representative of what I was looking for. Specifically dials with radium as their very distinctive. In other words exactly as watchweasol pointed out there is no residue of radium because you don't have a radium dial.

The other thing was looking for was did they have hands that had no filling in them. Weather is radium or whatever and sure enough one of the pictures shows that you can look through the middle of the hand that's the one we can see the second marking. So obviously they had variations for the dial case and everything and that's what I went looking for with the pictures so I don't get any credit other than finding the pictures online. Suggest Google the title that you have and look at the pictures and there's lots of them out there.