Manually applying silicone grease to gaskets

lorax

My method has always been using toothpicks to apply the grease then smooth it out until a uniform layer is formed. Usually I end up with a layer 2-3x thicker than I want and it takes some time but it works and my gaskets don't dry out. I've always been tempted to stick my fingers in the grease then run the gaskets through them. Is this a bad idea? I'm not sure if the oils off our skin would degrade the quality the gaskets and ruin the seal. I've done it before just to test it with a gasket I was throwing out anyways and you can grease a gasket in 5 seconds.

Gasket grease is usually supplied in a small tub with an impregnated sponge, the method is press the gasket into the sponge on both sides, This is usually enough grease to make a seal it doesn't need a thick layer. The idea being making a waterproof/dust proof seal not greasing the case threads.

5 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Gasket grease is usually supplied in a small tub with an impregnated sponge.

Not necessarily, actually buying the grease without the applicator there is a wider variety of choices.
I am OK either using the sponge or my fingers, as long the grease ends only where it has to be, I have no concerns. 

• Like 2

Keep any contact with silicone grease to a minimum as it is very tenacious and difficult to remove.  You do not want to contaminate other parts by touching them.  Try and use an applicator and fit with tweezers/stick.  I was in the lubes industry and we avoided silicone and colour dyes in the manufacturing plant if we possibly could,  as the plant needed mechanically cleaning before another product could be made.  It is good for seals in watches but nothing else!  I would not use ordinary grease for seals, as this normally has some water content and after any corrosion inhibitors have been 'used up' over time, corrosion will occur under it !!

Edited by canthus