Another sapphire glass replacement question

I hope I don't irritate the forum by continuing to ask questions about crystal replacements.

I replaced the battery in this watch for my neighbor and offered to replace the crystal.

This looks like the others I have done but I still wanted to ask of there is anything special about these monster watches?

This is an Andrew Marc fashion watch (for lack of a better term).  Seems to measure 33.5mm which is consistent with the 0.5mm resolution for fashion watches (learned from this forum).

2 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

This looks like the others I have done but I still wanted to ask of there is anything special about these monster watches?

If there is something special about these, I think that is seen only by the people that buys them. Their wholesale cost can be €10 - 15 but inevitably the tag price is easily 10 times as much.

3 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

I hope I don't irritate the forum by continuing to ask questions about crystal replacements.

I replaced the battery in this watch for my neighbor and offered to replace the crystal.

This is an Andrew Marc fashion watch (for lack of a better term).  Seems to measure 33.5mm which is consistent with the 0.5mm resolution for fashion watches (learned from this forum).

Sorry!!  I took the picture before writing the post and then forgot to drag it over...my bad.

2021-09-07 11_46_44-20210907_114359.jpg ‎- Photos.png

14 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

I took the picture before writing the post and then forgot to drag it over...my bad.

With a Miyota FS2x it can't cost what I wrote before, to be honest I have seen better looking watches build around the same module.

I Don’t think there is anything special in theses other than size.  Before removing the crystal , cover it with clear tape “ sellotape” just in case it cracks on removal, measure the case and the old crystal and proceed as normal.

As for asking questions, that’s what its all about. Better to ask than cock it up.   Cheers

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Before removing the crystal , cover it with clear tape “ sellotape”

Dang...I should have thought of that.  I have busted three of the four I have done upon removal and as a result was not able to measure the actual crystal.  This will be my method going forward.

24 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

Dang...I should have thought of that.  I have busted three of the four I have done upon removal and as a result was not able to measure the actual crystal.  This will be my method going forward.

BTW, I use my BB crystal press to remove (and install) crystals.  I seem to recall seeing someone tapping them out with a hammer (robber <rubber> or some other soft material). 

Edited by LittleWatchShop

43 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

It is indeed a Miyota but cal. OS10

Oh, the big one. Hard to tell from just a front picture.

14 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

I seem to recall seeing someone tapping them out with a hammer (robber or some other soft material). 

I recall one one guy boasting to be using a garage vise for crystals. If that makes them proud to have saved the money for a meal or two at Mac Donald's, then I'm happy for them.

Finally got around to this.  Here is a pictorial. 

I first taped the crystal with Kapton tape because the stuff seems to not stretch.  Once I put it on, I trimmed around the crystal so that the tape would not touch the bottom fixture.  I had already printed the upper fixture that perfectly fit inside the case.  Both fixtures were 3D printed.

Then one swift squeeze and voila.  There was a little bit that chipped off.

I had already ordered a crystal that was the correct diameter.  However, I was off on the thickness by 1mm, so will have to order again.

2021-09-15 08_30_39-Window.png

2021-09-15 08_30_49-Window.png

2021-09-15 08_30_57-Window.png

2021-09-15 08_31_05-Window.png

2021-09-15 08_31_17-Window.png

2021-09-15 08_31_24-Window.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WatchingOracle said:

@LittleWatchShopSo that's what that funky shaped bit is used for on the press! I've not seen that on any of the replacement tutorial videos anywhere. Got it with my press but didn't have a clue what it was for lol (pic 4).

great question. i print these on my 3D printer. Very handy.