Easy pour spout for Elma WF Pro?

A couple of things just for reference.

I'm in the US and WF Pro is made in Germany, so there's that whole size compatibility issue that encompasses so many things.

I compared the male opening on the WF Pro to a wide-mouth no-spill 2 gal. gas can I recently obtained from Home Depot, and the gas can had about a 1/4" to 3/8" wider male thread end opening.

I have an email into Elma for the thread specs and see if they have some solution. At least it's good to see I'm not the only one of their customers that has this issue. Thanks Plato.

17 hours ago, fixermole said:

I have an email into Elma for the thread specs and see if they have some solution. At least it's good to see I'm not the only one of their customers that has this issue. Thanks Plato.

I have made several screw-on caps for gas cans and also made some threaded bulk-head to hose converters--all printed with PLA on a 3D printer.  My success rate is 100% doing this, but I must admit that it almost always takes me two or three tries until I get the fit perfect.

Post the thread specs here when you get them.

I haven't heard back from Elma yet, but here is some info.

Male thread size on the container measures M60 x 6,0 in metric.

The container is made by Mueller Plastics and appears to be their standard 3L container on their website. The cap is made by Semadeni Plastics and appears to be one of their HDPE caps with a safety lock.

The container opening and lid are very similar to the size of that for my Easy Can plastic gas can from Home Depot, so I was thinking to get an M60 cap and drill a hole to fit a spout from the Easy Can.

However, it would be a lot easier if that M60 x 6 cap was the standard fitting on a petrol can in Europe I can just get off eBay.

I'm just having time trying to find that size plastic cap or screw-on spout here in the US, and even searching Google or eBay or the like just defaults to the US.

Looks like the easiest path forward is to 3D print the cap with a hole to fit a US-standard spout. Just don't know whether the 3D plastics are compatible with the solvents/components of the Elma solution.

Any other thoughts, ideas?

• 4 weeks later...

Here's an update everyone:

Elma does indeed carry a spout for the WF Pro solution. It fits some other containers as well. All of the supply houses in the US did not know that this part exists.

For those of you in the US, Jules Borel has a few of these on order; expected arrival date is end of October. When I get mine from them, I'll let everyone know if it fits and works, and the ordering details.

For those of you outside the US, attached is what Elma sent. It looks like it came out of a catalog, so it may be of use if you want to try to get one.

WF.JPG

• Like 2

11 hours ago, fixermole said:

Here's an update everyone:

Elma does indeed carry a spout for the WF Pro solution. It fits some other containers as well. All of the supply houses in the US did not know that this part exists.

For those of you in the US, Jules Borel has a few of these on order; expected arrival date is end of October. When I get mine from them, I'll let everyone know if it fits and works, and the ordering details.

For those of you outside the US, attached is what Elma sent. It looks like it came out of a catalog, so it may be of use if you want to try to get one.

WF.JPG

I think it might be 59mm to 61mm DIN European Standard Thread. I've ordered something similar, should be able to say for sure on Saturday. 

Following @fixermole's discovery I found something very similar... I doubt Elma make the part themselves.

This is the part I ordered:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Comma-EQDTAP-25L-Drum-Tap/dp/B006U9A68G/ref=pd_bxgy_2/260-7381597-5859317?pd_rd_w=fV1dH&pf_rd_p=c7ea61ca-7168-47e3-9c8b-d84748f5b23c&pf_rd_r=SHG8K3SBEN2HSD5TT0F7&pd_rd_r=6a58e9e3-f3c7-4e40-a73e-32baf30e98e1&pd_rd_wg=E4Lwo&pd_rd_i=B006U9A68G&psc=1

but there are other sellers selling the exact same thing but under a different brand, I got two on ebay for £10.93, one for each of my canisters.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334022167978

I found a seller for the 'Elma' version in the UK:

https://www.labunlimited.co.uk/s/4108/F-8000003928/Elma-Tap-for-25-Litre-Can-800-000-3928

But, postage was £15!

IMG_20211002_123942_1.jpg

Edited by Plato
Misspelling

Plato,

Nice finds. You're a much better internet searcher than I.

Note that the Lab Unlimited spout looks like the wrong tap. I think that one goes to the container on their cleaning machines, and is the one the Elma guy first sent me information on, then corrected it. The ones from the Amazon and eBay links look the same as the cap that comes on the WF Pro (without the spout of course).

The cap that comes on the WF Pro is stamped on the underside with the company that makes it -- Semadeni; so, you can check if it's the same manufacturer when it arrives.

Note that Jules Borel is going to sell the part for $15.95. They charge $3.95 for shipping in the US.

12 hours ago, fixermole said:

The cap that comes on the WF Pro is stamped on the underside with the company that makes it -- Semadeni; so, you can check if it's the same manufacturer when it arrives.

The ones I bought are made by Waddington & Duval, a British manufacturer 😀. I think these taps are popular with home brewers so plenty of demand in the UK!!

IMG_20211003_124121.thumb.jpg.7e2ebca78a0ed85283bc769b18ac7323.jpg