Odd Quartz Battery Size

LadyFi

Hi everyone.  I've been gifted this watch.  However, the battery size is a bit odd.  A LR621 (377) is too small for it but a LR1120 too large.  It seems to be a size that is inbetween the two.  Does anyone know what size of battery this watch would take please?  I tried holding in the smaller battery and the watch works fine.

On the movement it says:

Prestige Time Co Limited
Swiss Parts Movement/China
1 Jewel SA1196DSC_0005.thumb.JPG.77f5f0f6e12fffd105a1fff8e363c67d.JPGDSC_0006.thumb.JPG.edd14afa4bb59cb7b106b37092dc4e4b.JPG

2169/3

.Thank you Watchweasol and JDM.

I measure at just shy of 9mm and depth approx. 2mm.  Without a Vernier Gauge I can only do an approximate size (must get one).  I notice the retaining bar is concave so I think maybe it could be a 370 or 371.  I'll order a few different sizes and see if I can match the right one.  I'm sure I'll find a use for any that don't fit.  It was a shame the original battery had been removed as that would have made it easy.

2 hours ago, LadyFi said:

I measure at just shy of 9mm and depth approx. 2mm.

Then it's an SR920, which is a common size.

I think maybe it could be a 370 or 371.

That is the same size but one type (W as opposed to SW) is high output, used on  chronographs.

I'll order a few different sizes and see if I can match the right one.  I'm sure I'll find a use for any that don't fit.

Not needed, uncommon types have no practical use.

It was a shame the original battery had been removed as that would have made it easy.

If everything in watchmaking was easy... 

1 hour ago, jdm said:

If everything in watchmaking was easy... 

So I'm finding out but it's fun learning - and I have a LOT to learn.  I didn't know the LR batteries shouldn't be used in watches until you told me.  Why is that?  My Lorus is running on one now.

4 hours ago, LadyFi said:

I didn't know the LR batteries shouldn't be used in watches until you told me.  Why is that?

Because Silver Oxide directly replaces Mercury batteries which were used until banned. Both chemistries provide an higher voltage, higher power density, and a flat discharge curve, ideal for watches. 

4 hours ago, LadyFi said:

My Lorus is running on one now.

It won't run for long and the cost saving is just apparent. A pack of 10 first brand SR batteries can cost as little as €2.

11 hours ago, jdm said:

Because Silver Oxide directly replaces Mercury batteries which were used until banned. Both chemistries provide an higher voltage, higher power density, and a flat discharge curve, ideal for watches. 

It won't run for long and the cost saving is just apparent. A pack of 10 first brand SR batteries can cost as little as €2.

Now that is interesting.  Just over 18 months ago I had a new watch battery fitted from a well-known repair retailer.  It cost me an unbelievable £10.  The battery was supposed to be guaranteed for 5 years.  It lasted for only 18 months.  I did keep the receipt but never went back - really couldn't be bothered.  I didn't notice when I changed the battery whether it was an LR or an SR.  From what you've told me, it could probably have been an LR.  If so, then that is sharp practice but most people won't even know.

I've just made an account with Cousins so will be ordering batteries this week and a few other things.  I'll make sure they're SR.

Thank you for explaining this.  It's true, we learn something new every day 😊

2 minutes ago, LadyFi said:

The battery was supposed to be guaranteed for 5 years.  It lasted for only 18 months.

5 years with a 1.55V battery is quite impossible. Newer modules promise 3 years, every module has a stated battery life the datasheet. With the years passing the drain becomes higher and the battery lasts less. One might get some more with a -W battery if available for the specific size.

For a change you may want to get a mechanical watch, no batteries and the pleasure of wearing the evolution of 500 years of engineering ingenuity.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, LadyFi said:

It cost me an unbelievable £10

The guy/gal has to earn a living, £1 for the battery and £9 for his/her time. I paid £50 for a battery replacement once, hence my interest in watches now and in not being ripped off. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jdm said:

5 years with a 1.55V battery is quite impossible. Newer modules promise 3 years, every module has a stated battery life the datasheet. With the years passing the drain becomes higher and the battery lasts less. One might get some more with a -W battery if available for the specific size.

For a change you may want to get a mechanical watch, no batteries and the pleasure of wearing the evolution of 500 years of engineering ingenuity.

He definitely said 5 years.  I did remark to my son that batteries must have improved since the last time I had a battery put in.

I haven't had a mechanical watch for many years.  I did acquire one recently with a joblot I bid on and won on eBay.  Not sure how old it is - it's a Teltime ladies watch but feels like it might have a broken click spring.  When you try and wind it, the winder just springs back.  I haven't even taken the back off it yet as I don't have any watch repair tools and I would think a ladies watch would be a lot harder to work on for a first attempt.  It's not a tiny watch like some of them.  It's probably about an inch diameter across the dial.

A project for much later I think.

DSC_0005.JPG

7 hours ago, Plato said:

The guy/gal has to earn a living, £1 for the battery and £9 for his/her time. I paid £50 for a battery replacement once, hence my interest in watches now and in not being ripped off. 

What my son just said - guy has to earn a living.  Having successfully put a battery in myself but more importantly getting the back on the watch - Lorus are made by Seiko and impossible to get the back back on with finger pressure.  Used a couple of coins, a C clamp and some stiff foam to protect the watch and the back snapped nicely into place.  That led to my new interest in watches so I've been binge watching watch repair videos and reading up everything on here.

I do need to get some proper tools though.

guy has to earn a living. 

Sure, but each trade has accepted and fair fees. I live in a country of good wages qnd high taxation, in that not very different from the UK. Still, a battery change at an high street jeweller is less than €5. 

Regarding mechanical watches, a ladie's broken manual wind is not a good first to learn repair and not even to enjoy wearing it. 

Seiko make excellent women automatics, and many unisex models, priced very reasonably even bought new. 

59 minutes ago, jdm said:

Still, a battery change at an high street jeweller is less than €5. 

Yes, but if there are any high street jewelers left after the past 18 months I'd pay £10 if it keeps them afloat. 

1 hour ago, jdm said:

Regarding mechanical watches, a ladie's broken manual wind is not a good first to learn repair and not even to enjoy wearing it. 

Definitely, there are plenty of cheap pocket watches on ebay to practice on... stick some photos up on this forum if you need advice @LadyFi

11 hours ago, Plato said:

Yes, but if there are any high street jewelers left after the past 18 months I'd pay £10 if it keeps them afloat. 

Definitely, there are plenty of cheap pocket watches on ebay to practice on... stick some photos up on this forum if you need advice @LadyFi

I might yet have a go at the Teltime watch.  I won the joblot which was mostly quartz watches needing batteries and a clean up for a mere £1.24 plus postage so nothing really to lose there.  Could be a baptism into watch repair by fire LOL but I've always had the attitude of nothing ventured, nothing gained.  Really the only thing that's stopping me is lack of tools - and lack of finances as I'm on a very limited income.

12 hours ago, jdm said:

Seiko make excellent women automatics, and many unisex models, priced very reasonably even bought new. 

I did have a Seiko automatic but it started going silly - you could see the watch hands going round at an incredible speed.  Put it into get serviced and while it was in, my now late husband (he passed away in 2011) had his first heart attack (one that's known as a widow maker by the med. profession) so with everything going on, the watch got forgotten about.  That was in 2004 so I doubt I will get it back now.  My bad on that one.

1 hour ago, LadyFi said:

I might yet have a go at the Teltime watch.  I won the joblot which was mostly quartz watches needing batteries and a clean up for a mere £1.24 plus postage so nothing really to lose there.  Could be a baptism into watch repair by fire LOL but I've always had the attitude of nothing ventured, nothing gained.  Really the only thing that's stopping me is lack of tools - and lack of finances as I'm on a very limited income.

Fair enough. Nothing ventured nothing gained!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Plato said:

Fair enough. Nothing ventured nothing gained!

No pun intended but "watch" this space.  Even if I end up with the watch in pieces and don't get it back together again, at least I will have learned something.  When I do venture forth into the unknown, I'll take plenty of pics as I go along and lay things out in order.

• Like 1