Watch hands goof

I started work on this Elgin pocket watch today, and quickly noticed that things weren't quite right.

Somehow, the hour and minute hands had been swapped. The short hand completes one revolution per hour while the long hand completes two revolutions per day. And that is the only way those hands will fit on the motion works.

I'd like to have a word with whoever serviced this thing last. 😛 As best I can figure, they had to replace one or both of the hands, and cobbled together some hands they had lying around from separate movements, which just happened to come together the opposite of how they should be.

Now I get to ask the customer if they actually want it fixed, or if they're used to it and want it to stay that way. 😬

PXL_20210630_035247118.jpg

I see you're missing the bezel that holds the crystal?

then I definitely agree with the above answer they are really easy to break. If you're really missing the bezel that's why you're missing the hand. A snipped out an image out of one Elgin's parts catalogs a give you a clue as to just how long the minute hand should have been before it got broken

Elgin fancy hands.JPG

• Like 1