Pocket Watch with Clanging Sound

Need some advice. I have completed work on a very nice old hunter RR grade pocket watch. It now runs super strong but I noticed that in I the pendant up or sideways position it intermittently has a clanging sound; almost like metal on metal. I cannot seem to reproduce it when I want to. Any idea what this could be? All jewels are good and balance endshake seems good. Thoughts and thanks.

JD

PS: could it be the minute wheel on the face falling out of position???

image.jpg

image.jpg

21 hours ago, mikepilk said:

o you see anything odd on the timegrapher in these positions ?

This is a great question did anything show up on the timing machine? Usually but not always it depends on how a noisy ideas things will show up in the timing machine. It's where if you have access to a more advanced timing machine where you can look at the oscilloscope was really nice because it lets you see what's going on between the taking where it normally should be quiet you can see if it's not. It's also nice to have audio where the sound is amplified.

Then you need the watch out of the case to see what you need to see if it is the balance wheel. Commonplaces for the balance wheel the rub would be pallet fork bridge. Or if the pallet fork screws coming undone. If it's too close to the center wheel. Or even more irritating and I have a watch at work that's doing this center wheel is slightly bent and only occasionally will it be in the right place for the balance wheel to stop. Or in your case perhaps just rub.

You also want to look up the hairspring it can make nice sounds when it bumps in the things. Like touching the balance arm or the upper bridge or it will also occasionally bump into the center wheel pivots not centered.