Longines Repair

Welcome to our forum.  I'm glad you found us.  Some of our veterans will likely step in soon.  One thing I know they will request is if you could please post some pictures; as close up and high-resolution as you can manage.  I should also ask if you have some good, fine-tipped tweezers?

Returning all the wheel pivots to their holes/bearings in the upper plate is, alas, an inherent and never ending struggle in this trade.  Some are easier than others.  Some will have you just getting one in as another comes out.  Some will turn your knuckles white as you take care not to break such slender pivots.  Having a difficult parts-movement to practice upon has helped me much.

Patience and practice will get you there.  Don't rush the Longines.  The brand is one of my favorites. 

Edited by KarlvonKoln
Clarity

If this is the first watch you have ever worked on, that's normal.

When I started, it could take me an hour to get the train bridge on. Sometimes I had to walk away and take a break, then come back later. You'll getter better at it eventually. 

Karl has given you good advice. Just remember to keep calm, have good lighting and magnification. Apply light finger pressure on the train bridge. You'll be able to feel a click whenever a pivot falls into a hole. Start with the biggest wheel first and work your way to the escape wheel.

Sometimes I have to put the screws in but only turn them a couple of rounds. Do not tighten them or the pivots will be damaged. This is to prevent the bridge from lifting and allowing all the pivots that you manage to get in to escape.

Fine tweezers is a must. But sometimes I use an oiler to nudge the pivots into the holes. 

That's all the tricks I have. The rest is practice and luck. And praying helps.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chuck60 said:

I started working on this longines watch and I can’t seem to get the bridge back on the train of gears 

Just to remind that is considered polite to use the introduction section to introduce oneself. 

• Like 2

It is polite to introduce yourself first. However fitting bridges on wheels takes practice and patience. The key in any horological work is don’t force anything in particular pivots they can be easily damaged. 

12 hours ago, Chuck60 said:

longines watch and I can’t seem to get the bridge back on the train of gears 

Always nice to help out to get an answer a model number as a company like longines Probably has made more than one watch. Then maybe even a picture would be helpful.

• Like 1