Louvic mystery dial

I have a Louvic Mystery Dial and I am finding it a mystery... or a puzzle.  How do I remove the movement from the case?  It does not come out dial side because of a metal ledge. It refuses to come out watchmaker side. It rotates greeley, but does not seem to fall out.  Any advice?

20210112_010222.jpg

20210112_010218.jpg

20210112_004408.jpg

12 hours ago, jdm said:

That is called a bezel, and it needs to be removed, usually with a blade first, then a case knife.

You gave me the solution in this statement.  I will have thick skin here. It has a very thin bezel that required a razor blade to remove.

Hey, I am an amature and new to this. But I am also a late 40's software engineer and mathematician in a state where the nearest horology school is 1000 miles away.  That means that I am new to the jargon and proper expression terms of this field.  But I did do proper diligence before asking my question.  I researched the watch with no results. This is my first time dealing with this kind of case.  I assumed the very thin line on the top was purely decorative.   Lesson learned.  I apologize of my other response seemed trite and impatient.   Your continued support means everything to me and I appreciate it.

Edited by thecodedawg
Less emotional response

4 hours ago, thecodedawg said:

Lesson learned.  I apologize of my other response seemed trite and impatient.   Your continued support means everything to me and I appreciate it.

You are welcome. BTW in many occasions in my life I missed noticing something that later on turned to be obvious. And nobody is expected to know or use proper terminology all the time. Getting to a positive result while enjoying what we do is all we try to facilitate here. 

• Like 1

many eyes make for transparent problems. I think most of the times I've posted here it turns out to be something simple I've overlooked, or the answer was (would have been) easy to find one I knew the proper terminology.

When I don't have my own questions I come on here just to find problems to answer so I can feel clever, or get some more experience in the process.

I thought that was a "Mark Lovick" brand mystery dial ?

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Next is to drill the screwhole this then provides an anchor point so the bridge doesnt slip around while scribing the shape. A cork lid, a pin and a piece of gaffer tape ( 😅 ) keeps it all in place. The hole is measured from the broken part using a hand measuring gauge. Mark the hole, punch it and drill it off to size. The awkward bit is working out where the jumper should be and the detent positions.  I remember watching a youtuber a while back do this with dividers, so i dug out my old school compasses and improvised a little. This bridge only has one hole and to find the detent positions you need two points of reference, so i just worked the second point from one of the corners, hopefully its near enough. Then scribe in the jumper using the two detent positions ( wind and time set ) that were marked and a big picture of the complete spring to look at that helps to give you a feel of where the jumper should be.   
    • Right now I'm making do with a similar micrometer (the one below is $45 shipped but you can find better deals) and a $20 stand. You do have to be excruciatingly careful measuring jewels, since there's no table, but if you don't have the $500 to throw around, it's a nice option.
    • As  I kid, I'd watch Godzilla stomping over buildings and cars and I'd think to myself: Tokyo is a really dangerous place to live... . Cool watch!!
    • Next one up an AS 554, looks like a bit more to this one. First job is to check thickness, most springs are somewhere between .3 and .4, this one measures .35, that matches in with the .4 spring steel i ordered. So for marking up a permanent marker comes in handy to colour up the steel to be marked later with a scriber once its dry. Bestfit provide the extra bit of info for the jumper spring that is missing.
    • Thanks again, Marc.  Super helpful. I was wondering what the hole was for, and now it makes perfect sense. With your help and the other members here, it looks like I'm good to go with my Seitz tool set. I had to order some replacement pushers, but with those, the set is complete and in good condition. Now, I need to figure out what tool to buy to measure jewels (amongst other watch-related parts). I had my eye on the JKA Feintaster micrometers, but people get crazy bidding on them for $400-600 USD. I was thinking of just a regular digital micrometer (Mitutoyo). Thoughts?  Mahalo. Frank