Military Pocket Watch

This pocket watch has just been given to me by a friend, it belonged to her father who had it with him during WW 2.

Although it's been in a drawer for years it came to life with just a couple of winds and ran for 36 hours keeping good time but I don't know much else, any more info would be interesting.

Many thanks,  Phil.

post-31-0-08582200-1427031040_thumb.jpg

post-31-0-53453600-1427031083_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

This is a nice watch. The British Government contracted to buy several thousand American and Swiss pocket watches for the military at the start of WW2 as they had poor stocks. They didn't actually specify movements as the G.S.T.P. (General Services Trade Pattern) standard specified so many jewels, such-and-such a face, etc. So the watches purchased and issued might have Waltham or Elgin movements from the US, or Cyma, Leonidas, Omega, Rolex and other movements from Switzerland. The pheon (broad arrow) marks it as British Government property, and the G.S.T.P. mark and the serial number mark it as probably Army issue. I forget the meaning of the individual serial number codes at the moment.

Cyma/Tavannes made excellent movements and still do. Worth getting the back off and giving us a pic, I reckon!

Edited by WillFly
  • Like 2

Thanks for the info Will, I was surprised when it started working immediately after being stored for many years and it's well used condition, there is some damage to the dial around the 7 and it seems to have a replacement glass, but it's still running nicely and has a good strong tick, I'll post a pic of the movement sometime.

Regards, Phil. 

Just to add my two-pennorth: some watches can stand restoration, either partial or complete. As far as watches of this type are concerned, my own inclination would be to get the movement carefully cleaned - but, in spite of damage and wear and tear, don't do anything to the face or case. It's a piece of history and, I believe,  should stand just as it is.

• Like 1

Just to add my two-pennorth: some watches can stand restoration, either partial or complete. As far as watches of this type are concerned, my own inclination would be to get the movement carefully cleaned - but, in spite of damage and wear and tear, don't do anything to the face or case. It's a piece of history and, I believe,  should stand just as it is.

My sentiments exactly !  

I asked my friend today if she knew where her father served during WW 2  and may have taken the watch, she remembers him wearing a flying suit in photographs with aircraft/glider, I will try and find out more.