ETA 2824 - Missing Part Help!?

Robbie010

Ok, I am part way through stripping down my first project watch, which luck would have is pretty much identical to the ETA 2824 strip-down video on youtube:

While beavering away I notice that there seems to be a part missing, see the image below showing the part circled in red. Can anyone tell me what this part is and whether I need to source a replacement?

F721A438-0C55-4B94-AB38-3F5CA635F8C2.thumb.jpeg.01672165c3cf68792a494dde9cfd0abc.jpeg

47 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

That locks dial foot in place, hinges open on the pin its mounted on and lets dial foot free to be pushed out the mainplate.

Thanks. Given that my movement has a further chronograph section I assume that this piece is not missing, just omitted. 

9 minutes ago, Robbie010 said:

Thanks. Given that my movement has a further chronograph section I assume that this piece is not missing, just omitted. 

Nicejoe nicely explained the purpose of that lock, Here is how it works:

Step 1 - apply some force using a flat screwdriver or something similar to slide the lock to release the dial foot

Step 2 - using a pegwood, tweezers, or whatever you prefer to push down the dial foot. This should be done after both locks have been unlocked. You may want to use a flat screwdriver to insert it between the dial and movement plate to separate them gently.

1-2 - Copy.PNG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Robbie010 said:

I assume that this piece is not missing, just omitted. 

I've never done a chronograph but I'd be very surprised to learn that the chronograph works somehow makes a dial fastener redundant, but I really don't know. Just don't bet on it!

Yes, you have a Dubois Depraz module that's held on by clamps. The dial is fixed to the module with those screws. There is zero tech info on servicing those modules available though Mark does a vid on one version; but zero spare parts available. Most pros hate them.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, nickelsilver said:

Yes, you have a Dubois Depraz module that's held on by clamps. The dial is fixed to the module with those screws. There is zero tech info on servicing those modules available though Mark does a vid on one version; but zero spare parts available. Most pros hate them.

Oh dear! ?

Not a good starter project then!

1 hour ago, Robbie010 said:

It does appear to have a pin of some kind in it, however, it doesn’t seem to have anything to do with the dial.

I assumed the dial was released by loosening the small screws on either side:

What a simplistic design, eh? ? Anyone can service it.. Piece of cake...

Thanks for posting these three photos. What an eye opener! I take back my words that ETA7753 was somewhat challenging to service.

It's so simple... - Copy.PNG