Introductin and question

Jeffa

Welcome to the forum Jeff. Here is my two cents.

1- Source two used ST96 movements from India,  known as mumbi special.

2-Take Marks courses.

3- Don't be shy to ask your questions.

4-Don't be affraid of breaking parts.

5-Practice, practice, practice....

17 minutes ago, Jeffa said:

Hello,

I'm wanting to take watch repair classes. I'm getting over whelmed with all of the information on line.

What is the best course to take? I have NO knowledge or tools. Starting from scratch.

Thank you,

Jeff

This is just my opinion: the best course to take is to find a good video on youtube showing how-to service some basic (no calendar / date) movement. Then order such movement from ebay. Get yourself several nice flat screwdrivers 0.5mm-1.2mm, a x10 & x5 loupes (dirt cheap), several small containers for the parts. While waiting for your parcels, download the parts list & service manual, read any "watch repair book" doesn't matter which one - just to familiarize yourself with terminology and basic concept. Once you get your watch and tools, take the watch apart, document your findings, take photos with your phone & x10 loupe, put everything back together. See if you like this process. If you do, now it will be easier for you to decide which curse to take. Good luck!

welcome to the forum   The first thing is to familiarise with the workings of a watch and its construction and to do that get hold of a cheap working one and dismantle it and re build it, read as much as you can but there is no substitute for practice once you understand the basics enroll in Mark Lovick's training courses which will take you through step by step and consolidate what you have read and practiced.      To get you stated I have attached three documents, The Witschi one will be over your head but will provide reference material later on.  The other two will provide information.   wish you well

TZIllustratedGlossary.pdf Witschi Training Course.pdf 1612608791_ToolsfortheHobbyist.pdf