Seiko 7430A Battery leakage damage

This is another 404 Club watch. It looks quite pretty on the outside. I can't even tell if it's a gents or ladies watch.

The insides are a completely different story. The hands can still be set but the gear train is totally stuck. The circuit board is still ok, I can get a pulse on my pulse checker and my ammeter shows a slightly elevated current reading. But the line release tool can't loosen the wheels.

I can't decide whether to start on this project or a Smiths Morpeth electric clock that I received this afternoon.

20201209_194648.jpg

20201209_194626.jpg

20201209_194202.jpg

2 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

This is another 404 Club watch. It looks quite pretty on the outside. I can't even tell if it's a gents or ladies watch.

The insides are a completely different story. The hands can still be set but the gear train is totally stuck. The circuit board is still ok, I can get a pulse on my pulse checker and my ammeter shows a slightly elevated current reading. But the line release tool can't loosen the wheels.

I can't decide whether to start on this project or a Smiths Morpeth electric clock that I received this afternoon.

Sometimes it takes longer to "decide" than to service the watch.

I've seen this many times - looks worse than it actually is:

- get a new movement - they are dirt cheap

OR

- remove the winding stem & the movement

- protect the dial and remove both hands with K&D type of hands remover

- separate dial from the movement (sometimes instead of two poles you will find they used some sort of soft sticky tape..

- disassemble the movement (do NOT touch the coil with tweezers)

- all corroded parts shall go through 5 minutes white vinegar bath

- all "oily / dirty' parts can be cleaned as you would clean any other parts

- let them dry, inspect visually if you missed some dirt or rust

- make sure that Rotor is clean (no particles attached)

- reassemble, do NOT forget to install insulator before you place new battery

- lubricate gasket and o-ring (crown)

enjoy

Good luck!

6 hours ago, clockboy said:

I have read that white vinegar can remove it. I have not tried but worth trying for sure

I have used white vinegar on brass.  It will remove the corrosion.  Not much you can do about slight pitting except to polish, but if the part is functional and rather thin, I usually leave it be.

Finally "decided" to service this watch. Got it torn down in 15 minutes. 

There were huge crystals of battery juice and some of the wheels were really stuck. Had to loosen it in the ultrasonic cleaner.

I'll probably put it back together tomorrow. 

20201210_202901.jpg

20201210_202638.jpg

20201210_201439.jpg

Too right   I never fit anything other than Renata from reputable dealers as there have been some knock offs on sale,  the cheap batteries don', t last and are prone to leak . all the quartz watches in the collection have the battery removed and an ID tag as to what battery fits it, better safe then sorry.

Urrrgh! Good Grief!

After what seemed like eternity,  I managed to get the gear train in. Tested it with my line release tool and everything looked fine. 

I proceeded to fit the battery holder in. Then the truth slowly sunk in. The battery holder needs to go under the train bridge. So after another eternity, the battery holder is in, under the train bridge and the wheel hack.

Then I realized that the yellow battery insulator goes under the battery holder. Urrrgh! ?

After another eternity.... Success!