How do I remove cannon pinion from new centre wheel ?

mikepilk

6 hours ago, Poljot said:

K&D staking tool has a perfect equivalent attachment, similar to Platex

Only attachment I've seen for K&D or any other staking tool similar to what Platax can do is for roller removal and wouldn't work with anything other than a 2 arm balance (maybe a 3 arm?).

16 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

Only attachment I've seen for K&D or any other staking tool similar to what Platax can do is for roller removal and wouldn't work with anything other than a 2 arm balance (maybe a 3 arm?).

K&D Special Stump #305 is very similar, wouldn't you agree?

For the subject task you do not need anything fancy, even a basic hand-held roller remover will do it if one uses it as a V-groove "Platex" thing :-). Just a bit of creativity, plus a set of K&D sub-punches and a brass hammer ?

RRemover - Copy.PNG

K&D - Copy.PNG

1 hour ago, Poljot said:

K&D Special Stump #305 is very similar, wouldn't you agree?

For the subject task you do not need anything fancy, even a basic hand-held roller remover will do it if one uses it as a V-groove "Platex" thing :-). Just a bit of creativity, plus a set of K&D sub-punches and a brass hammer ?

RRemover - Copy.PNG

K&D - Copy.PNG

I have one of those roller removers, and thought of using it, but the jaws are the wrong size.

I also have another roller remover (which I had forgotten about, as it always seemed the wrong size) which might have worked. But as I mentioned, the cannon pinion is especially long and quite thin. I have no punches that will fit, only broaches and they tend to break 

20201129_183714.thumb.jpg.479f3a2d1536ce39c981cda7db9bbd7a.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikepilk said:

I have one of those roller removers, and thought of using it, but the jaws are the wrong size.

I also have another roller remover (which I had forgotten about, as it always seemed the wrong size) which might have worked. But as I mentioned, the cannon pinion is especially long and quite thin. I have no punches that will fit, only broaches and they tend to break 

I used to have a wish list (a long list of nice-to-have tools), but settled for a short list of must-have only tools. It seems that amidst this pandemic nonsense, millions ? people decided to get into watch repair hobby! Everything is expensive on eBay. I don't mean expensive "I can't afford it", but rather why would I pay so much if I may only need it once. That's why i say that creativity is a must.

BTW, it's a nice tool you've got. It was once on my long list ?

Edited by Poljot