Afra Watch / movement identification / history / anything related to Afra Watch

Hello Clock and Watchmakers,

I bought a watch on an online auction site, Afra Watch is written on the dial. Now it is unlikely that I can put my hands on it this year as it goes to my parents place 2000 km away and I think the restrictions will get worse by the day. So I only have the pictures from the auction site I cannot take other pictures or I cannot get the movement out of the case. I am keen to learn more about Afra Watch as my daughter's name is Afra. Tried to google it but got no useful result apart from one Afra Watch for sale on a site. Would you recognize the movement based on these pictures or have you ever heard about Afra Watch? Any input would be appreciated. 

Take care,

lui

afra-regi-retro-mechanikus-felhuzos-ferfi-ora-svajcbol-2ffa_8_big.jpg

afra-regi-retro-mechanikus-felhuzos-ferfi-ora-svajcbol-2ffa_6_big.jpg

afra-regi-retro-mechanikus-felhuzos-ferfi-ora-svajcbol-2ffa_7_big.jpg

afra-regi-retro-mechanikus-felhuzos-ferfi-ora-svajcbol-2ffa_4_big.jpg

afra-regi-retro-mechanikus-felhuzos-ferfi-ora-svajcbol-2ffa_1_big.jpg

Edited by luiazazrambo
pictures were too small

According to mikrolisk, Afra was a company based in Vienna Austria. Dr Alex Frankel is mentioned alongside - almost certainly therefore the company's name being formed from his name.

Obviously not your movement but ranfft has mention of an Afra watch using a Helvetia movement: http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&Helvetia_33LI

I don't immediately recognise your movement but hopefully someone else will. In the meantime the titbits above might give you a few more clues to search around.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, WatchMaker said:

According to mikrolisk, Afra was a company based in Vienna Austria. Dr Alex Frankel is mentioned alongside - almost certainly therefore the company's name being formed from his name.

Obviously not your movement but ranfft has mention of an Afra watch using a Helvetia movement: http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&Helvetia_33LI

I don't immediately recognise your movement but hopefully someone else will. In the meantime the titbits above might give you a few more clues to search around.

I found that on ranfft and started to read the history of Helvetia, but they have not mentioned Afra anywhere. What is mikrolisk? Mikrolisk.de? Search doesnt give me anything for Afra. Thank you for helping.

Edited by luiazazrambo

20 minutes ago, luiazazrambo said:

I found that on ranfft and started to read the history of Helvetia, but they have not mentioned Afra anywhere. What is mikrolisk? Mikrolisk.de? Search doesnt give ma anything for Afra. Thank you for helping

Yes that's right: http://mikrolisk.de/show.php is the homepage. This is a really useful site for trying to tie down a symbol to a name or get potentially helpful information on a manufacturer. In this case all I did was type 'afra' in the search box on the homepage to get the information I've relayed. It's not a lot but might get the ball rolling.

30 minutes ago, WatchMaker said:

Yes that's right: http://mikrolisk.de/show.php is the homepage. This is a really useful site for trying to tie down a symbol to a name or get potentially helpful information on a manufacturer. In this case all I did was type 'afra' in the search box on the homepage to get the information I've relayed. It's not a lot but might get the ball rolling.

Thank you. I used the wrong search box, those years teaching me german were all wasted. ? Based on internet history I could find these Afra Watch-es, on Austrian, Polish, Ukrainian and Czech auction sites. And this one is a Hungarian blog where you can also find an example of an Afra pocket watch (and many other watches): Afra Watch

44 minutes ago, Tudor said:

Pull the stem and remove the casing screws. Then this movement comes out the dial side.

Hi Tudor, thank you. @Marc has already identified the movement. Unfortunately I have to wait a few months before I can touch the watch. I am going to fix it, if I can and wear it.