Rolex 1215 Date Disc Help

mzinski

I have a Rolex 6694 with 1215 movement with a clear misalignment between the date disc and dial. 

The movement is held in place by a movement retaining ring which is then held into the case. The movement retaining ring is also the dial seat/rest that accept the dial feet. The movement can be rotated independent of the dial. As you can see, when the stem aligns to the dial, the date is misaligned. When the date is aligned to the dial, the stem is misaligned. 

Investigating a little further I'll note a few things about this particular date disc. The wheel is covered in white paint on the top side and I note there is an extra registration mark at 16/17 (something I don't note on replacement discs). This leads me to think it was repainted/reprinted and hence the misalignment. 

In lieu of buying a new date disc, I wonder if I can adjust the alignment between the disc and wheel. It appears the wheel is friction fit with a punch. 

- Is there a specific punch to be used on this part? If so, can someone point me in the right direction to get one? I have concerns trying to push the wheel off because it gets in the way of closely supporting it when pushing out. Maybe pry bars? 

- If I were to secure the wheel or disc, could I turn the other part to align? Thoughts on how to do this? 

- Any other way to modify the alignment or things I may not have noticed? 

Thanks in advance! 

IMG_3468.jpeg

IMG_3476.jpeg

IMG_3478.jpeg

IMG_3477.jpeg

If hour wheel sits in center of the dial center hole, your dial feet are straight and fine.

Looks like its the date ring  pasted on its wheel non-concentric.

I scrape the paste off of bars, hold the wheel by hand, insert a safety razor into the seam between the date ring and its wheel, work around to cut into all old paste. 

Clean, use epoxy-5 that doesn't immediately cure on the points to glue and align, add more glue when you are sure all is aligned.

I am afraid, trying to rivet the bars on date disk plate may ruin the alignment.

Edited by Nucejoe
glue on three points

5 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

If hour wheel sits in center of the dial center hole, your dial feet are straight and fine.

Looks like its the date ring  pasted on its wheel non-concentric.

I scrape the paste off of bars, hold the wheel by hand, insert a safety razor into the seam between the date ring and its wheel, work around to cut into all old paste. 

Clean, use epoxy-5 that doesn't immediately cure on the points to glue and align, add more glue when you are sure all is aligned.

I am afraid, trying to rivet the bars on date disk plate may ruin the alignment.

Dial feet are original and straight. 

Let me make sure I understand correctly, you're suggesting to use an Xacto to pry off the wheel then re-secure in the right position using an epoxy, correct? 

The bars are no gurantee to center the wheel with the disk. Therefor if you just punch the bars to rivet and spread them out on the disk plate, you will get what comes out without any control over centering and alignment.

What I suggest is to use small bit of epoxy glue which gives you couple of minutes to move the disk to center it with the wheel and try getting the date to sit correct with date window, try it on when glue is cured, if satisfied add more glue, you can even add super glue.

Next gently bend on the bars to rivet them on the plate as long as you dont break the glue bond. The moment you punch the anything you have lost all correct coordinates.

With glue you have a free hand to center and align, with punch you get what comes out without any control over alignment and centering. UNLESS YOU HAVE A TOOL TO KEEP BOTH PIECES IN CORRECT POSITION AND COORDINATE(center and alignment)

Razor blade is thin and wont bend the date disk as you insert the blade in. If you bend the disk plate you kiss this one good bye.

That is without a special tool for the task, If there is a tool for rivetting this, a luxury watch repairman needs one.

I think HSL shows the possibilty of replacing just the date star, perfect if it can be had and at reasonable price. 

In referended thread by macbain, the disk snaps right on brass bushing so all sits in place centered, although the original issue had been diferent, a new date star solves current issue as well.