Lucien Piccard quartz battery change

Basti

Hi

I just bought a broken Lucien Piccard from 1970s. I managed to lift the crystal but still can't replace the battery.

Does any one have a tip how to get out the steem and crown to get the movement out?

20200831_140125.jpg

Hi and welcome to theforum, regarding the watch could you post picture of the back of the watch so we may acertain the method of opening,  As mentioned by Tudor it may be a front loader with split stem it may be  a conventional snap back or a screw back. Once we have that information we may proceed. 

15 hours ago, Tudor said:

Assuming the back doesn’t open?

if it doesn’t, it’s probably a split stem. 

Hello

Thanks for your reply. And really warm welcome.  It appears the watch movement gets accessed this way Tudor discribed.

I upload 2 more pics as suggessted.

If there are some more comments.

I will put in more tought.

Thanks again

B.

20200901_061431.jpg

20200901_061328.jpg

If you move the stem in and out, can you see an area with no threads? If so, rotate it and you should find where it overlaps and one piece can slide out of the other.

Otherwise, I'm not sure how to remove it, other than stopping the stem (somehow) and unscrewing the crown from the stem.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I finally managed to insert new battery.

I did not remove the stem and movement from the watch.

I managed to replace battery from the side.

And slide in new.

The crystal is just poped on thecwatch again with my fingers, not using crystal lift.

20200922_104011.jpg

Sorry I'm late to the game here.  Looks like Tudor saved the day already.  Lucian Piccards are decent watches, mechanical and quartz both - I have a vintage mechanical myself- but their front-load cases are a pain at times.  The split stem unscrews, which is fine, but can also grow loose over time, which sucks.  I have to get around to working on the crown of mine.  It unscrews way too easily.  I've almost lost the doggone crown a couple of times.  It's my only complaint about them: their choice of stem/case combination.