International Purchases

A while ago like a few other members, I bought some Cuppilard/FE 233-60, 17 jewel movements from a guy in America mainly to practise on but the overall cost was only about £10 including postage. They got set aside to play with on a future occasion as I noticed they were sans hour wheels. Lately I managed to source hour wheels at Cousins but they turned out to be the wrong ones, fair play to Cousins who admitted that they had erred, told me to keep the wheels they sent, which are brand new but completely unidentifiable, and they are giving me a refund. Subsequently I have sourced another 3, this time correct ones.

In my bay mooching I came across a seller in Portugal that had used dials up for sale and I got them for £9.80 inclusive of postage. Anyway here is a picture of them. I was pleasantly surprised at the condition of some of them and I think from my initial measurements that coincidentally some will fit the movements, the dial feet spacing and positioning seem correct - time will tell, if not the feet will Dremel off and be re-sited or perhaps I could use pads.

I got two new cases complete with winders and glass for £6.99 from Romania - ok, only chromed but condition excellent and they also have metal movement holders within.

I am now sure that I am getting out of control and should really stop looking at stuff " for future projects" and actually start doing a project.

post-197-0-10116800-1423921036_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Vic

Luckily, the FE movements are the sub dial type and the measurements on the six at the top match up. As they are not named I could in theory put a personal label or monogram on it. There was some cutlery somewhere from my gt gt grandfathers house that actually has a monogram composed from the W on top of an H that may fit the bill. Ok getting carried away in the muse again.

The movements are all gummed up with dried out oil and will take some cleaning but the effort will be educational- possibly.

In production mode for cards and menus for my daughters wedding just now. The cards are working well, boxed with a Couple of small artificial Cala lilies on the front, ribbons,diamanté etc. really getting in touch with the feminine side (found it in the garage)- pink gin.

Cheers,

Vic

Well I did get the glossy black dial !

I have just packed them away in their own individual little bags. There are about half that are really good condition so at an average of about 33 pence each it was quite good. Oddly the three hands that came with the bundle may also be getting used as they look about right if I snip a bit off the second hand and if the tube is long enough. Waiting for the hour wheels now.

Cheers,

Vic

Hello BlakeL,

The Movement is an FE 233-60.  You can just about see it under the Balance wheel.  Unfortunately Cousins do not have the hour wheels in stock.  I ordered two but when they arrived they were the wrong size and I sent pics back to Cousins who admitted their mistake, told me to keep the hour wheels and gave me a full refund.  They have since withdrawn that item as all their stock was wrong. the pics I sent them are below.

post-197-0-25855300-1424291296_thumb.jpg

The cousins packet with th reference is on this pic

post-197-0-91779000-1424291322_thumb.jpg

As you can see the hour wheel they provided is far too small and the reference to the height of the wheel is wrong.

The wheels are about 5.49mm Diameter, 1.56mm Height, Tube diameter 1.4mm and Tube internal is .90 mm

the reference will probably correctly use part No. 250 and you can use both FE or Cuppilard parts as they are the same movement.

Ranft show some info for the Cuppilard 233-60 and I think Cousins have the PDF for the FE and its incarnations.

Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers,

Vic